Awesome Out-Of-The-Box Marketing Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterX

Jun 25, 2006
I've been compiling a little personal collection of crazy/unusal things that people did in order to get great results with their sites and am thinking it would make an awesome thread if we could all add similar findings to make a kick ass, mind bending inspirational resource here.

Here are my first contributions, let's see who'll be the first to top them :p

Idea no.1 - Here's a story of a guy who used an interesting approach to get new repeat visitors, signups and, best of all, lots of valuable content from his visitors.
http://www.warriorforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=76073

Idea no.2 - This one is even better and is about people smart enough to recognize & ride an unusal hot trend and get some awesome results.

Since I dug this out by myself and there's no story already related to it, I'll also give a brief explanation - sometime during 2005, people all over different forums started talking about Chuck Norris Facts. One of those buzz things that seemingly comes out of thin air and catches like wildfire. More about it here.

These people recognized the opportunity and created the site soon after the whole thing spread. Is the site complicated or expensive ?! Nope. Just a simple site that pulls it's material from a simple database filled with a collection of other peoples content. BUT is it genius ?! I'd say a big YES, since it earned them a PR7 and 15000+ backlinks in just a couple of months!
http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

That's it for now, will add more later. Feel free to give this thread an excellent rating ;) and do post your own findings...

Ah, Chuck Norris facts. My co-workers and I have spent many hours browsing through those.

You are right though, great way to capitalize on a trendy idea.

Well I think idea number 1 works only if you have relationships with people with traffic like that guy did.

online games work the same way. Get a good one and it gets emails all around the globe (like that silly hit the penguin one). Have a link to your site and bam, traffic increases automatically.

The cost to design that game can only have been a few$100, but I would have thought it more than paid for itself in additional traffic

Charlie said:
Get a good one and it gets emails all around the globe (like that silly hit the penguin one).

Sounds interesting, I haven't seen that one yet. Can you give some links to it ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.