Authority site help

ryanmiller1122

Mar 25, 2011
I've been working on a few emds and keep hearing authority sites are the way to go. Can anyone explain to me first what an authority site is, and maybe point me in the right direction for getting started with my first one. Any above from anyone who has been where I am would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Wikipedia is an authority site. Make something like that, for a case study, I'll subscribe.

I think when marketers talk about authority, they're not talking about building an actual 'authority site'. They just mean that thin sites don't rank as well any more, so you have to continually write more content for your site in addition to backlinking. You also have to try to increase user experience (ie. lower bounce rate and increase time on page and return rate) and use social media to keep them updated and interact with them. Apparently up until six months ago, none of that bullshit was necessary, and you could rank a thin site on backlinks alone.

I guess now is a good time to start a writing service, as the demand for original, quality content goes up.

I am also starting an authority site. I have a WP blog posted and have sent back links, web 2.0 links, along with a few packages purchased here on WF. Pr 4, 52 authority on Seo moz.. I have just started using DFB.. Hope to see increasing in traffic and serp rankings..

Any other ideas?

Authority sites are those that produce great value to its users and are ranked well on google.

The websites which have tonne of informative content and deliver excellent user experience enjoy the status of authority sites.

To become an authority site, you have to match up the level of work done by such websites. For instance, wikipedia is considered as one authority site. It does not promote anythig, it does not contain spammy content, neither it earns any money from the content published (in terms of ads or affiliates)

So, these are the few things that you need to start with to become an authority site.

And, one more thing... Its not easy to earn this status. It takes years to become an authority website of the niche.

Some good input here. So we now have authority sites pretty well defined. Lets talk about tips and advice on how to get started. What works and what doesn't. What mistakes have been made.

As fast as taking years, I have no problem with that. Making enough through other methods had earned me the ability to invest and all good investments have an element of risk and take time to pay off.

As far as monetization of authority sites, any advice there?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Jack Humphreys had a good book on his site for a while, The Authority Site Black Book. I haven't read the newest version but at least up to 2009-10 it laid out a pretty good plan, both in terms of structure of the site, linkbuilding, content, etc. Be warned that while the book is worth grabbing, use a mail you can live without, because you will get drowned in the spam JH sends to his list.

Frank