Asus N73SV series?

Chianti

Apr 24, 2010
Anyone using an Asus N73SV?
It's in their current 'entertainment' range

I'm looking at a 'V2G' model (as opposed to the V1G linked above) with the following specs:
· 17" monitor
· intel i7 2630QM 2Ghz 6mb-L3
· 6Gb DDR3 Ram (expansion up to 12Gb)
· 2 x 500Gb discs
· Nvidia GT540 graphics with 2Gb memory <--- that's what 'V2G' means
· Bang & Olufsen speakers

I've never bought Asus before. Apart from too much vertical flex in the keyboard, it seems a nice laptop. I've got a very limited choice where I live, and this one stuck out from the rest.

Anyone have experience with this range of laptops?

Cheers.

I don't have experience with that range, although looking based on complaints it has a poochy 5400rpm hard drive. Although the spec sheet you listed shows that there are options for the faster 7200rpm. Overall Asus puts out some good shit.

You might not have heard of it, but check out ZT Systems. I just picked up
2 for my office with the following specs for $799

2nd gen core i7-2600 processor (3.40GHz)
16MB DDR3 expandable to 32GB Max
2TB SATA Hard Drive
22X DVD R/RW
Radeon HD 6850 graphics (1GB Memory)

I went with them again because I picked one up for my house about 8 months ago, and it's seriously been one of the best PC's I've ever owned. The only thing I would recommend is when you get the computer, upgrade the power supply. I'm not sure why but the one that comes stock with it is SHITTY.

I have used Asus before and what I don't like about it is the keyboard easily damaged. The design is suitable for breakdown due to its compact design and layout...

I'm looking at a 'V2G' model (as opposed to the V1G linked above) with the following specs:
· 17" monitor
· intel i7 2630QM 2Ghz 6mb-L3
· 6Gb DDR3 Ram (expansion up to 12Gb)
· 2 x 500Gb discs
· Nvidia GT540 graphics with 2Gb memory <--- that's what 'V2G' means
· Bang & Olufsen speakers
How much does this cost?

> based on complaints it has a poochy 5400rpm hard drive

Thanks for pointing that out - I was assuming anything in that price range released in the last 6 months would have a 7200rpm drive. I'll be sure to check the spec on the box.

> You might not have heard of it, but check out ZT Systems

Thanks, but the problem is that international delivery to this location is a complete pain in the ass and can be very costly. Firstly, hardly any online retails deliver here anyway. Secondly, stuff takes weeks to arrive and I usually get hit with an additional 20% tax and a 50€ local delivery charge on top of whatever tax and delivery I've already paid during the purchase. Also given that there is a 5% probability that I'd have to return a faulty electronic product, I'm better to buy locally even though the choice is crap and the prices are inflated.

> How much does this cost?

It's 999€ (1341$). That might sound expensive to Americans, Britons or Germans, but over here it seems fairly reasonable compared to the rest. I'm actually thinking that someone in the shop has looked up the wrong model in the catalogue and priced it incorrectly, not realising it has an i7, 1T of disc drive and 2Gb video chip.

There's nothing else I've seen locally that comes anywhere near that spec for that price. For example, there's an Asus G53SW in another shop with the same spec, except it is 15" and has a GTX460 1.5Gb graphics card. It is 1400€ (1879$).

> I have used Asus before and what I don't like about it is the keyboard easily damaged

Yep. The keyboard is a huge fail. However, I don't game, so the keys aren't going to get mashed. Also, I might be able to take it out and reinforce the bottom of it with tape or something. The other issue might be the battery life - it's not designed to be used unplugged. I reckon I'd only get about 3 hours on battery on power saving settings. Finally, they've used a shitty wi-fi/bluetooth chip. None of those things are particularly deal breakers though.

> I was assuming anything in that price range released in the last 6 months would
> have a 7200rpm drive. I'll be sure to check the spec on the box.

Dammit. You were right. It's got two 5400rpm drives. However, I checked the other laptops on the shelves and all of them are 5400rpm. I guess these shops have to sell some more outdated stock before they bother introducing laptops with the faster drives. Anyway, the point's moot because I can't buy a 7200rpm laptop here.

Today though, I found an Acer Aspire AS5755G with the same specs as the Asus, except a 15" screen and one 750Gb drive. It was 100€ (134$) cheaper. Is Asus a better company than Acer by any significant margin?

Thanks for any further advice.

I sold quite a few ASUS notebooks in my past and had little to none problems with them. Quality is great although they go bloated with un-needed software like other major brands. But that's the only downside with ASUS.

Now to your question. I own this exact notebook since a few weeks and it runs smooth. Pretty smooth if you take the time to uninstall the shit bloated software and games nobody gives a fuck about. Sound speakers are GREAT and I never enjoyed speakers like that on other notebooks.
Another small downside is the plastic keyboard which kinda feeders up and down while writing. Once you get used to it it doesn't matter but it makes the look of the notebook so "cheap". I was expecting at least a metal surface on the keyboard but no no...

I will probably upgrade mine with an SSD and then this baby is lightning fast. I really enjoy working on it so you can't go wrong with it if the points above don't bother you.

Last week I bought a cheap ($650ish) asus i5 core laptop and it has impressed the hell out of me so far.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to pass on this Asus though.

The straw that broke the camel's back was this: I noticed the Headphone/SPDIF, microphone, HDMI, USB 3.0, VGA and A/C power are all on the right-hand side, which is where my mouse is. I've realised I can only really consider models that have the dvd-rom on the right-side (and the A/C and a usb port if they are near the back).

I was also very disappointed that the drives are 5400rpm - I thought the Asus would be big enough and new enough to warrant 7200rpm, especially when matched with the i7 CPU.

Also the dedicated button for Asus Express Gate put me off, and the cheap design of the buttons and keyboard in general.

Fuck... back to the drawing board.