Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

rembrandt

Jun 26, 2006
Australia
If your a programmer I'm interested to see if you prefer ASP or PHP for dynamic website development. Feel free to leave comments as to why.

I haven't done any ASP but with work I come across a lot of ASP sites that I need to evaluate for SEO and I never really noticed how many there were until now. I used to think everything was PHP but that's not the case is it.

There is a HUGE difference between ASP and ASP.Net. ASP is much more like PHP. With ASP.Net the code is separated out so that you have your design/layout page and then your "code behind" page that drives it. It lends itself to much cleaner and organized coding as well as having some unbelievably bad ass features.

When I was first just tinkering around years ago I was messing with PHP and MySQL, but then after I graduated and got a job I was doing ASP.Net and have been doing it for nearly 5 years now. It's obviously my just my opinion, but ASP.Net is in a completely different league.

ASP.NET all the way!

I've been using .NET and PHP for the last 6 years, and coding with visual studio is seriously a breeze!

Refactoring, intellisense, javascript debugging - with breakpoints!

I'm not really a fan of the postback mechanism, as this is dependant on javascript being enabled in the browser - uh oh!

But yeah, I learned C# and used my .NET experience to build console applications, windows services, bluetooth applications and windows forms too.

Forget Rails, Forget PHP. Get this.

There's a hell of a lot more money in ASP; with freelancing and such. But I prefer PHP, the syntax is a lot simpler IMO.

Juicify said:
Go for php! What I can see there's a much bigger community around it and alot of open source scripts.

Yeah you'd think that, but the c# code you find in the examples is usually less-ambigious to follow.
I've never had a problem finding examples or tutorials off of google, and you can find plenty of other developers, willing to help you out, in the ##c channel on freenodes IRC

The code is strongly-typed, which means it's less-likely to catch you out in certain places, unwanted surprises.

I've been building a myspace-like website for the last 2-3 years in PHP, and then rewrote it in 2-3 weeks with C#.

debugging is a dream, try it out... asp.net has visual studio web edition as a free download!

ASP vrs. PHP, which ever one you are more comfortable with.

As for ASP.NET...it's above and beyond the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.