Article Directory

IMHopeful

Wicked Fire Elite Member
Mar 8, 2010
Canada
I'm building a niche article directory and I'm getting some conflicting advice.

My first thought was that I didn't want to use a generic, over-used script like Article Dashboard and was planning to have one built (on a limited budget).

Someone who is in the industry, who I trust, told me that a custom (cheap) script could get me into a lot of trouble if the directory takes off, which definitely makes a lot of sense.

So his advice is to use the tried and true AD, or Article Friendly, which he hasn't used, but has heard it's a little more friendly to newbie users -- like me.

Just wondering if anyone who has experience in this field could offer some advice. I really want to get this thing fired up, but I want to get it relatively bug-free from the get go.

Any further advice is appreciated, as the guy who gave me this advice is experienced in web marketing, but not in the directory side of things.

Very nice boobs shown in attachment, if I do say so myself.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 29

Why don't you want to use a pre existing script? They exist for a reason...get something going and start hacking it up and customizing it while adding more and more content.

Hey dchuk,
Thanks for answering. I just want everything to be perfect and unique. I have everything planned and ready to fly. I think maybe I've been reading too many flogs on the subject.

It's hard to find good info, but you're saying exactly what my adviser is telling me. Looking at a lot of the online stuff trashing the free WP script: Most of them are trying to push toward a paid alternative.

Hi, My name is Doug. New to the forum, actually my first post.

Do you think it is better to have an article directory geared to a niche, as opposed to having a general article directory with multiple categories? I have plans to put one up, but planned on it being just an open directory with categories developed as they are requested.

Any feedback, either way?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Either way you'll have to set yourself apart from the competition. A niche directory, with less competition will get you up in the rankings quicker depending on your search volume. It's all about how you market the site though.

If you can distinguish yourself in a unique way, I would imagine a general directory would give you better overall rank in the future.

Hey dchuk,
Thanks for answering. I just want everything to be perfect and unique. I have everything planned and ready to fly. I think maybe I've been reading too many flogs on the subject.

It's hard to find good info, but you're saying exactly what my adviser is telling me. Looking at a lot of the online stuff trashing the free WP script: Most of them are trying to push toward a paid alternative.

Well, I don't think paying to get a unique directory script created for you is really the right thing to do, just start with something already existing and customize it. Maybe make it tie into the social networks, keep moderation high to keep quality up, provide tools for embedding creative commons images from flickr in each post (and require image embedding to make things look good)...maybe offer adsense revshare for article publishers?

You could also allow users to mark some of their articles as premium and some as free, so if someone finds an author they like, they can then pay to access the rest of their stuff. Then you take a cut.

Reactions: Bombastic
I wrote all those ideas down. Damn dchuk, your an awesome idea person. Thanks a bunch!

I really love the premium vs. free idea, to help keep attract quality writers. Careful my friend...you should be charging for these ideas!

Wow! those are some great ideas. Angles I would have never thought of. I knew there would be something great that would come out of this forum. Ya'll came highly recommended, and now I see why.

BTW IMHopeful, I did a search on scripts available, and found one that I think will be excellent. I've downloaded it (FREE) and installed it on a couple of domains. Now I just need to get it customized through their internal settings to make it stand out. Don't know if it is a good idea to post the link here, so I won't. There isn't any content on it yet anyway.

My next task after customization is getting people to begin posting articles and visiting the site...

Best of luck with your article directory.

Doug