Are you getting enough Vitamin D?

SeoReborn

Mar 5, 2008
London UK
Not finished watching this but Ivor provides good summary of studies that demonstrates the benefits of Vitamin D (just like his cholesterol video)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3pK0dccQ38[/ame]

There are alot of epidemiology discussed here and some randomised placebo/treatment studies.

Taking 2000 IU daily.

I had my blood checked last year when I was taking 1000 IU per day and it was on the lower end of the acceptable levels, so I upped the dose.

I really like the fact that some people prefer using such lamps instead of going out and jogging for and hour in a park. Nothing helps better than natural sunlight, which is also free. Instead, people try to protect themselves from sunlight and buy special lamps to replace it...

That would be ideal during the summer to just go out but what about in the winter when its cloudy and dull with hardly any sunlight?

lemme speak on this some more cause I'm watching the video. Good find SeoReborn.

I too used to be one of those people who became afraid of the sun from the media, but a couple years ago I read The Primal Blueprint which had a whole section on the importance of Vitamin D and getting sun.

Since then I've stopped messing around with sun screen and instead spent time in the sun without, but for shorter bursts. I try to avoid burning myself so it would be ~20m spans until my base pigmentation increases. Then more and more as the summer goes on. Granted - skin cancer is nasty (havent gotten far enough in the video to see the guy talks about) but I am willing to be on the side of the getting sun instead of avoiding it.

Theres anecdotal evidence too that I experience. If you've ever lived in a climate that doesn't get sun for 5-6 months (upstate NY or your moms basement) you begin to feel like total shit towards the end the winter. Then the first time you hit the beach and get that sweet delicious sunlight - you feel unstoppable.

I really like the fact that some people prefer using such lamps instead of going out and jogging for and hour in a park. Nothing helps better than natural sunlight, which is also free. Instead, people try to protect themselves from sunlight and buy special lamps to replace it...

If you are in UK or Canada or northern USA or EU, you are not getting virtually any vitamin D for 6 months of the year or so.

But yeah I agree completely, fuck sunscreen protectors, it is the hugest scam ever made!

Regarding 6 months without sun in the Northern European countries - I see your point, Scotland is not the sunniest place on the planet, btw :)

Solutions are:
1) go for a vacation somewhere sunny
2) go to the mountains (nearly all Norther European countries have mountains) to be above the clouds and get some sun. Skiing is great for so many reasons (provided you can do it and will not end with your legs broken in a hospital)!

Ionic showers and UVB lamps were invented for people, who have shifts in Arctic/Antarctic stations, where its -40/70 degrees Celcius outside and you really have 6-months-long nights. All the rest of the world receives some sunlight now and then. It's actually up to you (as always, in fact) how to treat your body, how to get calories and vitamins and how to excercise (or not). Therefore, people with determination will find a way to get some sunlight even during long cloudy winters. On the opposite, lazy people prefer having a pill and sitting under the lamp.

Even if there is not much sun outside, yet you still can go outside for a walk (and not freeze to the death) - do it. Going outside is always 200% more useful for your health than sitting inside your house. And if it's pouring rain for a month or snow falls for a week and it's 6-meters-thick already - I'd say you have biggger concerns than vitamin D deficiency

Vitamin D, also known as the sunshine vitamin, can be produced in the body with mild sun exposure or consumed in food or supplements. But i prefer a natural way :) i don't take supplements.

Regarding 6 months without sun in the Northern European countries - I see your point, Scotland is not the sunniest place on the planet, btw :)

Solutions are:
1) go for a vacation somewhere sunny
2) go to the mountains (nearly all Norther European countries have mountains) to be above the clouds and get some sun. Skiing is great for so many reasons (provided you can do it and will not end with your legs broken in a hospital)!

Ionic showers and UVB lamps were invented for people, who have shifts in Arctic/Antarctic stations, where its -40/70 degrees Celcius outside and you really have 6-months-long nights. All the rest of the world receives some sunlight now and then. It's actually up to you (as always, in fact) how to treat your body, how to get calories and vitamins and how to excercise (or not). Therefore, people with determination will find a way to get some sunlight even during long cloudy winters. On the opposite, lazy people prefer having a pill and sitting under the lamp.

Even if there is not much sun outside, yet you still can go outside for a walk (and not freeze to the death) - do it. Going outside is always 200% more useful for your health than sitting inside your house. And if it's pouring rain for a month or snow falls for a week and it's 6-meters-thick already - I'd say you have biggger concerns than vitamin D deficiency

Another Edinburgh'ian. You also got that Holland and Barrett Vit D on your desk?

Since then I've stopped messing around with sun screen and instead spent time in the sun without, but for shorter bursts. I try to avoid burning myself so it would be ~20m spans until my base pigmentation increases. Then more and more as the summer goes on. Granted - skin cancer is nasty (havent gotten far enough in the video to see the guy talks about) but I am willing to be on the side of the getting sun instead of avoiding it.

You don't have to get 'burnt' to get skin cancer. I'm from a place that has the highest skin cancer rate in the world and it's drummed into people here to 'slip-slop-slap' and be sun smart. We get enough Vitamin D by going out and checking the mail. People get crook here and then find out they had an unknown melanoma and then it's too late..

Others giving advice that sun protection is a scam should come and have a holiday in Australia without sunscreen and a hat and see how they go.

Another Edinburgh'ian. You also got that Holland and Barrett Vit D on your desk?

Why should I? I've been in 8 countries during business trips this year and plan to visit another 10 till X-mas. I receive sunlight where it's sunny, instead of sitting where it's foggy/rainy/cloudy and waiting for some sun.

I totally agree with the fact that necessity of sunscreen or supplements of vitamin D is dicated by the place you live. But modern life presents so much opportunities that living in a horrible place instead of moving somewhere else... It only shows lack of will and effort.

As for Australia... on each picture of it you can find 50 species that can and 20 species that want to kill you. Sun protection is really important there yet it is not the biggest concern you should have when visiting Australia. However, Australians are among the most friendly and open-hearted people I've met.

Yeah, everyone that lives in far northern or southern climates (i.e. "somewhere horrible") should just pick up and move somewhere sunny :rolleyes:

well, living on a tropic island with warm sea and warm sand is much better than spending your life amidst grey rocks and under constant rain. You can adapt or you can devote all your efforts to moving to a better country. It is the base of business and entrepreneurship - give your best to earn money to live better.

I do know tropic islands are not ideal - storms, worms, insects, etc. Well, you still get the idea.

well, living on a tropic island with warm sea and warm sand is much better than spending your life amidst grey rocks and under constant rain. You can adapt or you can devote all your efforts to moving to a better country. It is the base of business and entrepreneurship - give your best to earn money to live better.

I do know tropic islands are not ideal - storms, worms, insects, etc. Well, you still get the idea.

And yet countries like Norway, Denmark, Ireland, Sweden and The Netherlands are often voted among the most livable in the world. There's certainly no shortage of business and entrepreneurship in such places and lots of happy people.

And yet countries like Norway, Denmark, Ireland, Sweden and The Netherlands are often voted among the most livable in the world. There's certainly no shortage of business and entrepreneurship in such places and lots of happy people.

The people in those countries are adapted to those conditions.

On the other hand, for a brown man like me, I'm miserable in North American winters, and I love warmer weather. I do take Vitamin D, but I just don't like winters. The last couple of winters I've spent increasing amounts of time in sunny and warm locales. I think I spent 2 months outside Canada this last winter.