are old social networks worth my time

tallenigma

Show me the money!
Nov 9, 2009
Miami
been a lurker on/off the past year and haven't really thought of a good topic to post until now that i'm starting to get a hold on the business:

is affiliate marketing with old social networking sites and their partners (i.e. myspace, friendster etc.) worth the hassle?

anyone here have any advice or experience with this?

If you like frustration and want to enter during their downward spiral, go for it.

If you like frustration and want to enter during their downward spiral, go for it.

any specific personal experience you can share??

i was just thinking that since many people are focusing away from it in turn for Facebook and there's still a substantial user base it might be worth at least checking out

Try it and find out. If people are buying ads it's probably making somebody money.

Although I can say from experience that there are some alternative social media sites that have terrible quality.

any specific personal experience you can share??

i was just thinking that since many people are focusing away from it in turn for Facebook and there's still a substantial user base it might be worth at least checking out
Try it out, spend 5k-10k and come back and tell us how it went.

I mean, thats pretty much what you are asking us to do.

^^^

Good luck if they even allow to spend it. I tried to spend $100 with Friendster and it was fail of fails.

I would suggest doing the exact opposite of what you are describing, and put small footprints on lesser-known sites. You can't invest a ton of work in it, because most of them will be derelict in a year, but it takes little more than a blog post/tweet from someone like Tim Ferriss or Darren Rowse to get a small niche site a flood of traffic, and while it will mostly not stick, what you have when those traffic waves come in is an "aged profile" which differentiates itself to all those newbies in terms of reputation and authority.

Again, most of these sites go nowhere, but if you keep up with the business you'll see lots of options and some of them do get legs under them. Even if they never get huge they'll have a heyday of sorts, and you want to be positioned to take advantage of it when it happens.

Frank

I would suggest doing the exact opposite of what you are describing, and put small footprints on lesser-known sites. You can't invest a ton of work in it, because most of them will be derelict in a year, but it takes little more than a blog post/tweet from someone like Tim Ferriss or Darren Rowse to get a small niche site a flood of traffic, and while it will mostly not stick, what you have when those traffic waves come in is an "aged profile" which differentiates itself to all those newbies in terms of reputation and authority.

Again, most of these sites go nowhere, but if you keep up with the business you'll see lots of options and some of them do get legs under them. Even if they never get huge they'll have a heyday of sorts, and you want to be positioned to take advantage of it when it happens.

Frank

seems logical...thanks for the advice...i'll keep searching around