Anyone use an Ikea Fredrik desk?

RockDiesel

Nov 29, 2007
In need of a new desk, and most desks I come across don't fit in the space I have. I keep finding 60" desks, but I only have about 56" of space to work with.

I came across the Ikea Fredrik Desk; it fits in the space I have and would accommodate my dual 24" monitors with plenty of work surface for other shit.

My main concern is if it is sturdy or not. Ikea can be hit or miss when it comes to how sturdy their furniture is. Wondering if anyone uses one, has multiple monitors and other shit on top of it and it still feels solid?

Gallant system with the T legs. You can pretty much make it any size and shape you want. They raise and lower (T legs are much easier to set than the single legs). They are rock solid with a steel frame under the table tops and can hold a ton. We had them throughout the office in my last place of work in Vancouver and I have them now in my apt office in Spain.

IKEA | Desktop solutions | GALANT system | Combinations

Gallant system with the T legs. You can pretty much make it any size and shape you want. They raise and lower (T legs are much easier to set than the single legs). They are rock solid with a steel frame under the table tops and can hold a ton. We had them throughout the office in my last place of work in Vancouver and I have them now in my apt office in Spain.

Just browsed through that whole selection. Everything I see is either too short (47") or too long (63"). I didn't see anything that adjusted to the length I would need (55"-56"). Did I miss a some kind of customizer somewhere?

It's time for you to join the "2 files cabinets + hollow core door" club.

S5030182.jpg

It's time for you to join the "2 files cabinets + hollow core door" club.

I definitely thought about it. Problem is I haven't found a 55" inch door for my space and there isn't exactly a lumber yard in San Francisco that is right around the corner from me to get any wood cut to size. A work surface is really all I want. I don't need any shelves and extra shit. Problem is I can't find anything that fits besides that Ikea desk.

Love mine.

The frame/legs/desk are all separate. You could see how long the frame part is and maybe just put those legs on a nice top you find elsewhere.

Most IKEA products are pure crap but I've owned one of these IKEA Jerker (yes, they really named it that) desks for almost 10yrs now and it's the most solid, stable and spacious work desk I've found. They have since discontinued this model but you can still find them on Craigslist from $50-$100.

2511645422_c6644ca0ae_z.jpg

free up some space and lighten the load by getting some wall mounts for your monitors and mount them above the desk.

Went to IKEA to buy a desk and everything was in fucking boxes. Waste of my time. Hotdogs were nice though.

Most IKEA products are pure crap but I've owned one of these IKEA Jerker (yes, they really named it that) desks for almost 10yrs now and it's the most solid, stable and spacious work desk I've found. They have since discontinued this model but you can still find them on Craigslist from $50-$100.

2511645422_c6644ca0ae_z.jpg

Second that - Jerker FTW if you want something sturdy and cheap. Had one of the desks that OP asked about and they suck. Its flimsy as shit, low to the ground, and the metal brace in the back means you cant tuck yourself in real close (i like to have my elbows supported by the desk). Got mine off craigslist for $50. I rock a 23" and a 20" side by side and there is plenty of space and the whole setup is rock solid. Plus, i mounted the little swivel tabs (not sure what to call them) on the outside of the frame so my printer and desktop box are off the ground and can be moved around to be closer to me or tucked back. Have speakers and filing rack on the upper shelf. Rocks my world.