Anyone had any luck ranking a .tv in the US?

patrolorp

Jun 8, 2009
I'm currently hunting for a domain to fit one of my existing businesses that im porting over the the US.

I have blah.com.au and ofcourse blah.com is taken, but blah.tv is available.

I don't really want to get some shitty theblah21.com and would rather stick to the moderately brandable name I am already using, but I also plan to rank for the terms in the US.

My current domain isnt an EMD, but it does contain a keyword related to all the keywords I'm ranking for in AU.

So, how have other people done ranking .tv?

Cheers

I have ranked .tvs but found that it is much easier to build a brand base if the domain and site are related to video content. This of course is kind of a no-brainer, but it just tends to stick in people's minds, really one of the only good purposes for the .tv extension in my opinion.

If you're following that course, I would suggest that you check blahtv.com and make sure it isn't a site similar to what you're planning on putting up at blah.tv -- from experience I can say this can have a serious leaching effect on your traffic growth, as your site users tell their friends about this new site "Blah TV" and the friends go to the first thing that comes to mind. If you can get them, the YouTube/Vimeo/etc username blahtv as well as the keyword (or closest you can get) on Twitter will give you some great insulation against brand dilution, in addition to the promotional benefits you get from them.

Frank

Its sort of like the type of product that you'd see 'as seen on tv' that's why I was thinking .tv as an option