Anyone design on a Macbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockDiesel

Nov 29, 2007
My girlfriend bought me a Macbook for christmas and I have been using the hell out of it. Using it more than my desktop PC now. I want to start some web design on it instead of using my PC and was wondering if anyone does some design work on one? Any editors you recommend for coding? Any other web design apps you would recommend for a new Mac user?

I second TextMate.

I do have an MacBook and have been working on it when I didn't have larger Mac to work on. Its doable, but a bigger display is almost required.

I would second the Dreamweaver/Fireworks combo. I also use TextWrangler for quick editing, and if I'm doing something really simple then I'll actually use iWeb and just export the files so that I don't have to host using .Mac. Cyberduck is good free FTP program. Imagewell is great for quickly doing basic edits/resize for photos, for more complicated photo work I use Photoshop.

I second the Dreamweaver/Fireworks combo. For simple editing I'll use TextWrangler (made by the same company that makes BBEdit). For a down and dirty quick page I'll actually use iWeb and just export the files. Some other apps I use:

Cyberduck: Nice and clean free FTP tool.
ImageWell: Light app for doing basic photo editing.

I use a macbook, and I don't have too many problems with it at all. I just need the newest version of OS X

Same on macbook, although I don't really do too much design. If the screen size is a problem, just hook it up to an external monitor.

Macbook Here - usual suspects for design (photoshop, dreamweaver, ec)

The coda product is really very cool, I've had it for awhile and am still finding cool little things I like about it.

Like once you are logged into the site you are working - you can drag files into the file tree on the left and it FTP them up for you.

That little bit right there is worth.

Oh yeah, the realtime editing and viewing the results is pretty cool too (side by side screens).

Good luck!

dreamweaver will upload files via ftp too.

yeah, but it uses another window to do it. Coda has it as part of its navigation tree - you just drop the files there and your'e done. Keeps the clutter down.

I think each of them have strong points.

I used a macbook, and financed buying a macbook pro with the fundage I got from working on the macbook. Learn to use Expose, and buy Coda. It's AWESOME for development.

Josh

I use Textmate + CSSEdit on a PPC PowerBook. Trying to get funds together to upgrade to an Intel Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.