Any way to track vanity 800#'s?

Croatbag

Nov 15, 2006
A client of mine has a vanity 800# that he is unwilling to change at all, even for tracking purposes. I'm familiar with call tracking, however, all those require you to have dynamic or static but different #'s to track sources.

Does anyone know how companies like say 1800 flowers or 1800 lawyers, tracks the source for their inbound calls since the number stays the same? I'm hoping there is some trick or something I am unaware of.

Here are some boobs for the trouble. Thanks!

15.jpg

Depending upon the type of calls (Whether it's inbound sales, lead generation, etc), you could use some sort of "Discount Code" or a "Record Locator" code.

Maybe you have some sort of parental controls enabled on your computer since you seem to be a little slow. There is a perfectly good set of titties looking right at you if you scroll down a little.

Examine a bit further before yelling for the ban hammer right away.

No pics on my end either. Maybe you need to learn how to post pics in this forum. :) As for your question maybe do something with caller ID.

Don't know what to do about it. I'm sitting here looking at tits, and I've posted tits before so not sure why this time it wouldn't be working.

How could I do something with caller ID? How would that differentiate anything for me dealing with my particular problem? Serious question, I can't think of a way so I was curious if you were thinking something in particular.

You can place a tracking I'd on the page your cs reps ask for then place in the system allowing you to track it back to a users session and the traffic or promotion source.

If they're not willing to change the number, the only way you can possibly track are the following options:

1. Promo/discount code listed right next to the number, stressing that you MUST mention that code to get the offer.
2. Rather than listing a phone number, use/make a click-to-call service to connect the user with the call center (from a lead form).

There are cons to both methods, and really, both methods suck compared to unique phone number tracking. The promo code is alright, but make sure the agents ask for a promo code when people call - otherwise, fail is on the horizon.

Take this method:

and combine it with this method:
You can place a tracking I'd on the page your cs reps ask for then place in the system allowing you to track it back to a users session and the traffic or promotion source.

Get 20 numbers from Twilio and rotate them on page whilst using tracking code to record the phone number, time/date, IP of the visitor, etc. Have all the numbers point to the same phone system on Twilio which records the call. Now match the call up to the tracking information matching that unique phone number.

mongoose metrics, and port your number. or you can tell the client to be a man and use dynamic number insertion

Take this method:

and combine it with this method:

Get 20 numbers from Twilio and rotate them on page whilst using tracking code to record the phone number, time/date, IP of the visitor, etc. Have all the numbers point to the same phone system on Twilio which records the call. Now match the call up to the tracking information matching that unique phone number.
The OP stated that his advertiser still wants to use their vanity number (such as 1-800-flowers), so using your own numbers through Twilio, ifbyphone, mongoose, etc... is not possible.

I agree that the OP needs to stand up to the advertiser & get a deal where unique numbers can be used.

so using your own numbers through Twilio, ifbyphone, mongoose, etc... is not possible.

Such a defeatist attitude. The only way you're going to track the user with one number is to have them call an extension or use a click to call script so you can peg the exact user's internet info (ip, user agent, referrer) to a phone number caller id.

If you have more than a few callers per minute, forget about it. ~defeatism

Such a defeatist attitude. The only way you're going to track the user with one number is to have them call an extension or use a click to call script so you can peg the exact user's internet info (ip, user agent, referrer) to a phone number caller id.

If you have more than a few callers per minute, forget about it. ~defeatism
Croatbag said:
A client of mine has a vanity 800# that he is unwilling to change at all, even for tracking purposes. I'm familiar with call tracking, however, all those require you to have dynamic or static but different #'s to track sources.
That's exactly what Croatbag is trying to figure out - extensions, promotion codes, click to call, or something that lets him get around not being able to change the phone number. Frankly, I'd just go for changing the vanity number, and billing it as "Call our priority line" or something similar. If you try and force a code to be given to a phone rep, you'll have a lot of breakage both on the user's end and on the phone rep's end. People will get confused with extensions, and you'd have to change the vanity number's normal prompts to support something only a fraction of the calls might use, and even if they see it, would likely not enter. Click to call options to trigger an automatic call to the number the user entered would probably be the best, but could result in fewer calls than just having a number.

Bottom line, the OP needs to stick up to the client and insist usage of other numbers, or everything will be half-assed. How do normal vanity number companies do it? The companies like 1800flowers don't do it well, but occasionally ask for offer/promo/ad codes based on the source. Other companies that have vanity numbers, but aren't tied to them as much as a 1800flowers type will just use non-vanity numbers.

LotsOfZeros - Not sure what you're getting at with "If you have more than a few callers per minute, forget about it.".

To start off you're going to have to set up a campaign that A/B tests his vanity number vs. a tracked number. Hopefully that test will show him that a random number is just as good as his vanity number and that will convince him to let you start testing call tracking #s.