Any opinions on Harman Kardon? (Home Audio)

Jimmy Clayton

Feb 26, 2008
So, I'm finally getting around to buying a TV/Stereo setup. I know absolutely nothing about TV, home theater, speakers, etc. I have been listening to my music on a ghetto ass iPod since I was 16. I have a flatscreen TV in my closet that I used to watch, but I just bought that because it was, well, flat. Whatever...

I don't watch much TV, so I am more interested in audio quality aka. blasting gangsta rap at 3am. I want it so I can just hook up my iPod, press a button, and music comes out. Simple stuff.

I have done some research, and it seems as though Harman Kardon is a pretty good brand.

This is what I have come up with...

Harman Kardon - AVR 1700 - NEW5.1-channel, network-connected A/V receiver with AirPlay

+

Harman Kardon - Beautiful Sound

+

a TV. I think I can choose one of those for myself...

I'll be the first to admit I am a little bit of a brand whore, but is there any reason why I should stay away from this brand? Any alternative suggestions?

Thanks in advance

I had an HK receiver years ago and it was a pretty decent and powerful unit. I would feel comfortable buying one now, but I'd probably go with a Pioneer Elite (have an older one now). I think a lot of them have been cutting costs and quality over the years. One thing you might want to look for is some of the newer receivers have Airplay built in to stream your audio from your ipod touch/iphone to it.

Your money is best spent on speakers, don't buy crappy speakers that places like best buy sells, yes, every speaker they sell is pretty much second rate. Go to a decent stereo/electronics store. If you know someone that is good with woodworking and simple electronics pay him to build you a set, you won't regret it.

inb4: you have to get a NAD or McIntosh with Dynaudio speakers or your a peasant.

I have the same HK receiver for about 8 years now. Its outdated but it still produces very good sound and power, hard to get rid of it. Paid I think 450 for it back then. Onkio is a good brand as well, well it used to be when I was shopping for one.

I have cambridge soundworks speakers with the 1000 sub. Sounds great for movies, which is all I use em for. But they are probably not where I would spend my money today.

Harmon Kardon has been around for years, decent pedestrian level gear. There's a 25 page thread about the AVR 1700 on avsforum that might help you decide.

Best bang for buck speakers I've heard are Ascend Acoustics with HSU subwoofers.

Harmon Kardon is a decent brand. With that set up you will be underpowering your speakers, especially the sub. They won't sound that good and might cause damage. I would recommend getting some powered speakers for your situation. You will likely get more for your money, built in amps that are made for the speakers with less chance of breaking. JBL makes some nice stuff. May want to check out studio monitors too. Stay away from Bose.

Harmon Kardon is a decent brand. With that set up you will be underpowering your speakers, especially the sub. They won't sound that good and might cause damage. I would recommend getting some powered speakers for your situation. You will likely get more for your money, built in amps that are made for the speakers with less chance of breaking. JBL makes some nice stuff. May want to check out studio monitors too. Stay away from Bose.

The only part that I'd agree with is the Bose part.

It's got plenty of power for decent speakers. I'd be more worried about the frequency response of 45-20k. How can you know if he's underpowering his speakers if you don't know what the speakers are?

JBL speakers are mediocre, people used to call them Junk But Loud. You don't need powered speakers.

OP, check the pioneer vsx-43 should be about the same price as the HK. It's got Airplay, Pandora, 7.1, iphone control app, htc control for android, bluetooth.

I'm not a technical guy. I can't tell you if HK is better than bose etc.
I use HK (all over my house), and I have a Bose dock at office. Apples and oranges since they're two entirely different products. However, I really do love the performance the HK gives.
Even if you find something better, it would be only a marginal difference.
You can't really get much better than HK.
Shut your eyes and buy it. There might be hype around the name but who cares. It adds bling and sounds nice!

Even if you find something better, it would be only a marginal difference.
You can't really get much better than HK.
Shut your eyes and buy it. There might be hype around the name but who cares. It adds bling and sounds nice!

this.