Android Battery Booster Apps

harrymouni

Oct 5, 2007
Ireland
Not sure if I'll get useful information here but does anyone know what happened to those battery booster apps that were on Neverblue a few months ago? They were mainly advertised on Android notifcation ads and charged via SMS from the app. They might be still live on NB for all I know, I don't have an account, been trying to register since 2008.

I just don't see them on the notification networks anymore which has caused a big drop in app-ad rates.

i've seen a few in yeahmobi and offermobi
doesn't know about neverblue though.

battery booster in a few EU counties
battery defender/saver(jamster) CA/US

Cheers. I see some now on offervault on no name networks.

Hmm, sounds like I need to run the one I have again. TY :)

You should, notification ad CPMs have dropped across the boards, check out the posts on the Advertising Networks subforum on Making Money With Android Forums. That forum is full of android devs posting some big impression numbers, a good place if anybody's looking to go direct.

@BigWill, who's the backend SMS provider for your app? I'm an Android dev myself and have a few ideas.

Do those applications actually work or its just another scam like the whole MMO/Biz-opp niche?

The ones that ask you to wave your phone around like a dumbass to charge the battery using the accelerometer do not work. The ones that disable animation filters and kill idle processes do.

Make a habit to kill applications/processes in the background.

Don't run at full brightness.

Download a custom ROM that will throttle your processing speed based on activity. Some phones try to use 100% of it's processing power no matter if you're running 1 program/process or 30.

You should, notification ad CPMs have dropped across the boards

Could not be more false. And will continue to be even more false as time continues.

Not sure if I'll get useful information here but does anyone know what happened to those battery booster apps that were on Neverblue a few months ago? They were mainly advertised on Android notifcation ads and charged via SMS from the app. They might be still live on NB for all I know, I don't have an account, been trying to register since 2008.

These offers disappeared because they spun numerous lawsuits in the US and not to mention in CA (internationally aswell). Regardless of offer terms, the advertiser is 99.999% of the time forcibly taking the user's number and opting them in without any user interaction. These are powered by means of MO (multiple opt in). The user must enter their number, and physically text a shortcode verifying they want to be enrolled/billed. Even then, the service of the "app" being downloaded, does not compliantly fufill any product/service related to the means of billing (PSMS). These apps have been deemed on the same premise as computer hacking.

--

Almost unanimously, Carriers do NOT allow this type of creative/offer/flow. It's a matter of time till their billing codes get shut down (1-2 months, 3 max). At a $4 payout with ZERO scrub, it would take the advertiser 8-12 months to break even. If you see an offer live for longer than that, chances are they are turn and burning until they're completely shut down.

You should, notification ad CPMs have dropped across the boards
I just don't see them on the notification networks anymore which has caused a big drop in app-ad rates.

Again, wildly incorrect. These were big over a year ago. Be weary of anyone stating they "own" or have these offers at this point in time.

PS: forgot to mention, there's 3 current class action lawsuits launched towards advertisers in this space. PSMS as a whole will take another devastating blow across the board, deeming even less viable as a business/marketing solution.

Could not be more false. And will continue to be even more false as time continues.

These offers disappeared because they spun numerous lawsuits in the US and not to mention in CA (internationally aswell). Regardless of offer terms, the advertiser is 99.999% of the time forcibly taking the user's number and opting them in without any user interaction. These are powered by means of MO (multiple opt in). The user must enter their number, and physically text a shortcode verifying they want to be enrolled/billed. Even then, the service of the "app" being downloaded, does not compliantly fufill any product/service related to the means of billing (PSMS). These apps have been deemed on the same premise as computer hacking.

--

Almost unanimously, Carriers do NOT allow this type of creative/offer/flow. It's a matter of time till their billing codes get shut down (1-2 months, 3 max). At a $4 payout with ZERO scrub, it would take the advertiser 8-12 months to break even. If you see an offer live for longer than that, chances are they are turn and burning until they're completely shut down.

Again, wildly incorrect. These were big over a year ago. Be weary of anyone stating they "own" or have these offers at this point in time.

PS: forgot to mention, there's 3 current class action lawsuits launched towards advertisers in this space. PSMS as a whole will take another devastating blow across the board, deeming even less viable as a business/marketing solution.

Great information, cheers.

Yeah, I was pulling facts out of my ass when I said notification CPM rates have dropped across the board, I've nothing to back it up. But I'm seeing more and more ads for legit app games and stuff, are they outbidding the Battery SMS crowd?

And why are so many Android publishers on forums complaining about notifcation CPMs dropping?

Again, cheers for the info, I don't do aff marketing anymore.

But I'm seeing more and more ads for legit app games and stuff, are they outbidding the Battery SMS crowd?

Because free-to-play mobile games make lots of money without having to deceive users. Clash of Clans is making $1 million/day right now. Candy Crush Saga is making close to that. There is zero marginal cost associated with in-app purchases, so every "pack of gems" that gets bought falls straight to the bottom line.

A few years ago, GREE overspent on acquiring installs because they wanted to dominate in Japan. Now they are on everyone's phone and when they launch a new game, they have an instant base of players. There are several companies trying to do the same thing in the US.

Mobile advertising is a multi-billion dollar industry. There is going to be a lot of mobile ad money made over the next couple years, and most of it isn't going to come from the Android equivalent of Zwinky.

Reactions: MSTeacher
There are a few out there right now but those are suckers. Its pretty obvious they dont convert as good as it was because their short codes are raped by now and going to get shut down anytime.

Coming from a mobile CPA network we have actually seen an uptick in these "save the phone" apps. We recently added a overheated phone and flashlight app. You just have to be careful how you promote it. The carriers do not want to be associated with it at all so you can't use any creative with there logos on it, also no ondeck traffic and push is frowned upon heavily.

I do not think these campaigns are going away anytime soon. Yes the carriers will shut the source down quickly if you are promoting them incorrectly but I do not think they will eliminate them as a whole.