Anchor Text ratios for a Particular Subpage

Island

Jun 25, 2012
Toronto
We all know that too high a ratio of keyword exact anchor texts can be a serious risk for any long term domain. That shit is a killer.

What about a particular subpage on the site though that has a more skewed anchor ratio, if the entire domain's anchor text profile is under control(like 8-11 percent most for any money keywords and a ton of brand/random anchors). Anyone have experience with this, or gotten penalized for this?

I'm kind of worried because a link I thought I bought that was going to be just 1 link actually turned out to be a press release and its a partial match anchor to a subpage which I've not built too many links for.

So in short, that one page is going to have a screwed up anchor ratio very soon. Any suggestions?

Surprisingly I haven't heard this discussed(1 page on the website vs the domain itself).

CukQfI2.gif

vD4k3Sk.gif

A page is a page, front page, inner page, does not matter. 8 to 11% seems too high a percentage for my liking, or should I say my style of ranking sites.

If your on page percentages are very high, then your inbound links percentages need to be low, like 0.5% low.

There is a lot more too it than that, inbound link weight plays huge as well so that throws a screw into just looking a percentages, like, you could have 100 inbound links and 99 of them are for generic and just 1 is your money term, if those 99 are just shitting press release links and the one is from an authority, then your site "should rank" much better, compared to say 100 shitty press release links and 5% have your money term.

Reactions: Vadym
A page is a page, front page, inner page, does not matter. 8 to 11% seems too high a percentage for my liking, or should I say my style of ranking sites.

If your on page percentages are very high, then your inbound links percentages need to be low, like 0.5% low.

There is a lot more too it than that, inbound link weight plays huge as well so that throws a screw into just looking a percentages, like, you could have 100 inbound links and 99 of them are for generic and just 1 is your money term, if those 99 are just shitting press release links and the one is from an authority, then your site "should rank" much better, compared to say 100 shitty press release links and 5% have your money term.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

It makes sense that the money term will rank better with an authority link and that's been my thinking on it. I.e if you have a chance to get a really amazing link, that's the one you want you want to use your money keyword with.

Now I"m stuck with a bunch of press releases hitting that page with a "keyword + firm" anchor.

Anchoring press releases back to your money site with keywords you intend to rank for in this day and age is asking for a plus size Google colonoscopy. You want to control your anchors, not hope your PR magically gets picked up by the perfect amount of sites needed to rank.

Anchoring press releases back to your money site with keywords you intend to rank for in this day and age is asking for a plus size Google colonoscopy. You want to control your anchors, not hope your PR magically gets picked up by the perfect amount of sites needed to rank.

It was accidental because I was supposed to get 1 link but somehow I got a press release.

I'm just wondering what I should now for damage control now my anchors to that page are fucked up.

We all know that too high a ratio of keyword exact anchor texts can be a serious risk for any long term domain. That shit is a killer.

What about a particular subpage on the site though that has a more skewed anchor ratio, if the entire domain's anchor text profile is under control(like 8-11 percent most for any money keywords and a ton of brand/random anchors). Anyone have experience with this, or gotten penalized for this?

I'm kind of worried because a link I thought I bought that was going to be just 1 link actually turned out to be a press release and its a partial match anchor to a subpage which I've not built too many links for.

So in short, that one page is going to have a screwed up anchor ratio very soon. Any suggestions?

Surprisingly I haven't heard this discussed(1 page on the website vs the domain itself).
That page will eventually lose its rankings for this KW. It doesn't matter if it's homepage or inner page. Dissolve it with other more generic anchors. If you haven't built many links then it should be easy and fast. Get a reasonable number of links with generic anchors, tweet them ASAP (maybe dripfeed) and you should be good.

Reactions: Island
It was accidental because I was supposed to get 1 link but somehow I got a press release.

I'm just wondering what I should now for damage control now my anchors to that page are fucked up.

You can always disavow if they become too much of a problem.