Amazon Affiliate Site De-indexed

rick55555

Mar 28, 2011
Corpus Christi, Texas
I recently purchased a domain. Due to my own negligence, I didn't realize the site had been de-indexed. Lesson learned. Apparently, a spam report was filed. Before I realized the site had been de-indexed, I began doing some fairly decent link building.

I submitted a re-inclusion request through Webmaster Tools explaining that I just purchased the domain and had no knowledge that the domain had been owned by someone else.

Today, I received a message through Webmaster Tools advising me that the site violates Google's quality guidelines.

The site is an Amazon affiliate site. It's structured as a store. The plugin is structured so that each item has a description, a product image and a "buy from amazon" button.

I can see how the site adds relatively little value and is therefore in violation of Google's quality guidelines.

I am thinking that adding a blog to the site with unique, quality and relevant content might help. A week after adding the content I'll probably submit a re-inclusion request (for the second time).

My question is whether there's anything else I should be doing. I don't have any experience with Amazon affiliate sites. Will adding unique quality content suffice? Is there something else that I'm missing?

Assuming I'm unable to get the site re-indexed, do I have an alternative? Can I buy another relevant domain and set up a 301 re-direct to the new domain after setting up an entirely different site (i.e. new structure, new template, different plugin etc.). It would be great if I could salvage my link building.

Will a 301 redirect from a de-indexed site not pass any link juice to the fresh domain? Will it result in getting the new site de-indexed?

I've heard bad things about 301'ing a deindexed domain to a new domain.

Just how much linkbuilding have you done? If I were you I'd just scrap it.

I appreciate it. I've read that post (as well as pretty much every post in the traffic and content section concerning de-indexed sites). I'm psychotic like that. But it was definitely a good refresher. It might be worth redoing the site and then submitting a reinclusion request.

To be clear, I am afraid that if I turn the site into a blog (i.e. a non-Amazon affiliate site with unique and relevant content), get Google to re-index it and then change it back to a (freshly designed) Amazon affiliate site that Google will once again de-index the site after performing a follow-up manual review. Ultimately, I need to know whether it's standard operating procedure for Google to conduct a follow-up manual review after having approved a re-inclusion request. If so, can an Amazon affiliate site ever really survive a manual review (i.e. will it ever offer anything of value when the site is structured purely as a quasi-ecommerce affiliate site).

I mean, it very well may be the case that there's no conventional wisdom on point. I haven't found anything to support/rebut this. I'm just wondering whether anyone has any other insight.

Chances are I'm over thinking this in a big way and I should just ditch the site and continue to work on my other sites.

Do your blog idea, having the store as an inner page with a link to it on your sidebar or just remove the store altogether and resubmit (I'd recommend just removing it all together). Should take you a couple of hours max. Then put it on the backburner, work on your other sites, and return to the site in half a year and try again.

Do your blog idea, having the store as an inner page with a link to it on your sidebar or just remove the store altogether and resubmit (I'd recommend just removing it all together). Should take you a couple of hours max. Then put it on the backburner, work on your other sites, and return to the site in half a year and try again.

Good advice. I set up a blog and removed all traces of the affiliate products. I sent in a re-inclusion request this morning (just after modifying the site as described). I doubt anything will come of it as it seems like Google has it out for this site. It's worth putting in one last ditch effort, however.