AdWords Bug, Blackhat PPC, Cleverly/Stupidly Devised Campaign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aim

Jan 15, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
www.webproleads.com
I'm doing some research in some ringtone campaigns tonight and I'm noticing that just about every ringtone search phrase is being dominated by the same site. Here's what his ads look like:

Do a search for any of the following keywords:

funny ringtones - Google Search

MC Hammer ringtones - Google Search[SIZE=-1]

cricket ringtones - Google Search

It seems to be the same person dominating every search phrase with (presumably) many accounts. Stupid looking display urls ([/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Real-Ring--Tones----Path.com, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Real----Ring---Tone------Corner.com) not exactly sure what they are trying to accomplish there.

I hadn't seen this before tonight. I'm assuming that either Google is a bit messed up, somebody is trying an experiment or an experienced marketer is launching some sort of odd campaign.

Thoughts?
[/SIZE]

Yea,

Word around town going on about this. There are in fact a lot more keywords with the same urls involved. I have gone as far as 2 1/2 pages deep and seen them dominating. I imagine they are trying to completely dominate. It's pretty obvious that they intend to only compete with themselves which in turn makes them the winner.

It's the first time I have seen it so blatanly obivous. The url's stick out like sore thumbs.

Interesting. I wonder how long it can go on.

Also Ruck- I found your blog the other day (didn't know you were a WF member) searching for others who might be using Yahoo buzz log. Gotta keep that stuff under wraps man ;-) You're right though, it is a goldmine.

Status
Not open for further replies.