Adsense Screwed? Extremely high CPC

SayWhatNow

Jun 30, 2011
My adsense account got f-ed today, and I'm hoping it doesn't get banned. Check the stats after it only being 3 hours into the day. Somehow I've earned my normal earnings in that short amount of time. The strange part is that the amount of clicks were normal. I've read all about click bombing which would show a spike in traffic and clicks. I however had normal traffic and clicks but an insane CPC. Has anyone seen this before? WTF is going on? I reported it via the Google form but haven't heard anything back. Any other suggestions? I'm going to be screwed if all my earnings are lost from some fluke.

Thoughts?

OP: If your clicks aren't up then you haven't been clickjacked.

It could be a few things, but if the epcm amount doesn't go back down to something sane, you've likely acquired a top 3 ranking in G for a profitable keyword.

(In this case simply PM me your keyword once you figure out which one it is. :thumbsup: )

If the epcm DOES go back down soon, then what has likely happened is that an advertiser in adwords bid some stupid amount of money for a keyword you were already ranking for today. He'll run out of money soon in this case.

"Dear Googlez, I'm writing to tell you that you paid me way too much money today. If possible, could you knock my earnings back down to complete shit so I don't live in fear of you banning my account for no good reason. Thanks"

You can't control your CPC. If your CTR had gone to 50%, then I'd be writing Google to let them know there may be an issue. Other than that, bask in the glory of your big earning day and hope that it continues.

Check your logs and if you see a ton of hits from one IP, send details to G. They may not do shit, but at least you've done your best. If you have decent traffic you can always sell to others or monetize via CPA/CPS et al..

Check your logs and if you see a ton of hits from one IP, send details to G. They may not do shit, but at least you've done your best. If you have decent traffic you can always sell to others or monetize via CPA/CPS et al..

^^ This. Another wise action would be to temporarily get rid of adsense in that particular site. Again, check your logs for repeated entries that seem unusual, and trace the activity for a couple of weeks.

I've had higher earnings in the last couple days of the month for the last 3-4 months. I don't know if it's an advertiser looking for some end of the month sales, but it makes me happy.

"Dear Googlez, I'm writing to tell you that you paid me way too much money today. If possible, could you knock my earnings back down to complete shit so I don't live in fear of you banning my account for no good reason. Thanks"

You can't control your CPC. If your CTR had gone to 50%, then I'd be writing Google to let them know there may be an issue. Other than that, bask in the glory of your big earning day and hope that it continues.

I know it sounds stupid, but going from ~.75 CPC to around $100 CPC. I mean that's obviously an error somewhere. Also as I listed above it seems to have happened to someone else and resulted in banning of their account. I guess I could be overly paranoid but I don't feel that $100 CPC is feasible unless I'm in the private jets niche.

I've checked the logs and haven't seen anything unusual. I'm getting 500,000 uniques and growing. I doubt I can get anywhere near what I'd value it at however. Or if I could I don't know how to go about it at this time.

^^ This. Another wise action would be to temporarily get rid of adsense in that particular site. Again, check your logs for repeated entries that seem unusual, and trace the activity for a couple of weeks.

I've gotten rid of the adsense for now, attempting to get into a CPA program to save some of the money lost from the site. I'm trying to figure out for how long I should leave adsense off. In a perfect world I'd get a response from my inquiry from Google and now how to proceed. Of course that is unlikely to occur.

What? Keep the adsense on, don't remove it! And with that person, it sounded like they were actually breaking the rules, and had previous warnings. Your case is totally different.

b3572733-f78b-45cd-966c-d5530972a711.jpg

WTF, Something gets profitable and you close it? Brilliant business sense.:bowdown:

Seriously, if there aren't any other warning signs, e.g massive amount of clicks, Leave it on.