A Limit on the Signature

Status
Not open for further replies.

skrilla

Dec 20, 2006
Austin, TX
Im noticing more and more people comming in and spamming the board with dumb posts to advertise their ebook or someother useless product. I realize alot of people have very solid blogs and sites on their signature. Most are valued members on the board.

Im proposing a limit of posts before people can post a signature. Maybe 25-30 posts then the user can create a signature. Having this function will do two things.

1. Allow the user to establish a credability and reputation from posting
2. Idenify the spammers early. Spammers wont want to go through the 25-30 post requirement. We can find them easier because they will prob try to post links to their crap somewhere before they reach this number.

What do you all think?

The mailing guide being concerned with spammers? :error:

More on topic:
I don't care. Let them have their sig.

::emp::

Well I've had sigs turned off since sometime last year...so doesn't bother me. :p

Just now noticed some of the more annoying sigs.

How about:

- Turn off formatting (I've seen *CA-CHING* sigs like this) maybe even for all sigs

- Turn off images in sigs. I find those annoying.

And for those that are BOUND to ask: I do not want to turn off sigs all together, since there are members blogs, etc, in those.

Well I've had sigs turned off since sometime last year...so doesn't bother me. :p
I think Xrproto hit the nail on the head, if you don't like the state of the sigs now, just turn the things off. We are trying to eradicate all the dickwads who have ebooks in there sig but it seems like someone has linked to us from there ebook page.

Just now noticed some of the more annoying sigs.

How about:

- Turn off formatting (I've seen *CA-CHING* sigs like this) maybe even for all sigs

- Turn off images in sigs. I find those annoying.

And for those that are BOUND to ask: I do not want to turn off sigs all together, since there are members blogs, etc, in those.

Those were the reasons why I turned it off. I do however, once in awhile, log out to check some members sigs.

It's just not good when you are at work and someone has a bouncing booby girl with an ipod in there sig. :p

I was talking to Jon about this spammer fuck last night and he said he was thinking about placing a 20 to 30 first time post limit before you can have a signature and newbies under that many posts can only post a few times per day.

The spammers do suck ass, but I doubt they get much of a payoff from spamming this forum. I mean seriously, if there are douche bags here dumb enough to buy the $7 ebooks then I guess I don't blame them for spamming.

I wouldn't be opposed to a 30 post rule before sigs are allowed. Personally, I could give a shit less about a daily post limit for newbies, since I've been around a little while now.

But I could see that as a big turn off to new forum members. You're new, with no intention of spamming, you go to the newbie forum asking about wordpress or some shit, you get some replies, you respond to ask another question but you can't.

I could give a shit less, but it might slow down the forums growth. I dunno.

I think Jon's latest tactic might be one of the best defenses to the spamming bs.

Status
Not open for further replies.