A Few Tools I Use for Productivity

potentialeight

Expert Gambling Writer
Oct 30, 2010
NC
www.potentialeight.com
There's a productivity thread about every six weeks or so, and I figure we're due. Someone asked me what I use for organization/productivity or whatever after they saw some of my posts in a previous productivity thread, so I figured I'd just post a list here and link him to it.

WinSplit Revolution (Free) - This is a window management tool for Windows. You create areas where you want to be able to send windows, and then you can use a simple popup that allows you to place the windows, or you can use shortcut keys. I prefer shortcut keys. I don't like having multiple "workspaces" like with multiple desktops, and this works better for me personally.

7Stacks (Free) - Back in Windows XP, you could add folders to your start menu that would just open up when you hovered over them, and you couldn't do that anymore in Windows 7. This program does something like that, but it also lets you create popup menus straight off of your taskbar. I like this better than the menus in something like Objectdock that completely replaces your taskbar, and I probably save like 15 minutes a day just from how I've organized all of the random shit I need with this.

Freedom ($10) - The only piece of productivity software I've ever paid for. It essentially turns off your Internet connection for a set period of time, and it's great for when you catch yourself with some dumbass distraction like reading forums. The way I use this is that I set out a chunk of time (usually 30 minutes) when I realize I'm being distracted by something, and I make sure I have up all of the information I need in browser tabs before I start it. This gets me away from the distraction long enough that I get back into my work without feeling the need to go back to it.

News Feed Eradicator for Facebook (Chrome link) (Free) - This is a Chrome plugin. I think there's one for Firefox too, but I'm not sure. What it does is eliminates the news feed when you go to Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More and replaces it with some quote about productivity or staying focused or whatever. This is helpful for me because I use Facebook Messenger a lot, though it might be obsolete for that purpose with https://www.messenger.com running now.

Block Site (Chrome link) (Free) - This is another Chrome plugin. It blocks certain URLs, and you can have it set to block them during specific times on a schedule. I keep it on a schedule for the first few hours in the morning since I prefer to get up and start working right after I take a shower first thing in the morning. It adds another layer of resistance from getting into reading forums or news or something else in this time, and it helps me to keep from getting distracted along those lines.

As far as organizational tools go, I use OneNote, a bunch of spreadsheets (organized by 7Stacks listed above) and a pen/paper system. Any other suggestions?

I'm not much of a tools guy, but my kitchen timer is my best friend.

One of my biggest wins in the productivity department was learning to ignore distractions. Once I did that, my output went through the roof.

That sounds trite, but here's an example:

I do a lot of work in my local coffee joint. Over the years, I'd gotten into the stupid habit of looking up whenever someone entered the store. I'm talking every minute or so (it's a busy place).

I was like Pavlov's dog. I'd hear the door open and look up. That habit prevented me from building any momentum. And big surprise, I couldn't get anything done.

Today, I ignore everything except work. It has made all the difference in the world. :)

Nice distraction killer setup, thanks.

7Stacks (Free) - Back in Windows XP, you could add folders to your start menu that would just open up when you hovered over them, and you couldn't do that anymore in Windows 7. This program does something like that, but it also lets you create popup menus straight off of your taskbar. I like this better than the menus in something like Objectdock that completely replaces your taskbar, and I probably save like 15 minutes a day just from how I've organized all of the random shit I need with this.

I use ole good TurboLaunch for that. You can put both exe's, files and folders there.

this thread should be called "tools i use for not being a shitter". they arent productivity related at all, its just you trying to keep you form fucking around. could just as well list popping 5 adderal a day.

This app isn't directly related to productivity, but still worth mentioning...

To-do list and task manager. Free, easy, online and mobile: Todoist

It's simple and intuitive. You can build projects with sub-lists, set recurring tasks and set priorities.

But the main reason I love it is because it's simple.

Tried moving away from Wunderlist to the tool you metioned for a change. There is another popular tool called Any.do. Tried both and found them both were very similar in term of UI.

Their UI felt a lot IOSish, bland white. Not my cup of tea.

Reverted back to Wunderlist. You should check that tool out. Recently M$ bought it.

This app isn't directly related to productivity, but still worth mentioning...

To-do list and task manager. Free, easy, online and mobile: Todoist

It's simple and intuitive. You can build projects with sub-lists, set recurring tasks and set priorities.

But the main reason I love it is because it's simple.

This lets you find any file on your Windows PC in seconds:
Everything Search Engine

This lets you find what files are taking up the most space on your PC:
WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics

Wow, Voidtool looks intredasting.

How long will it take to index my files?

"Everything" only indexes file and folder names and generally takes a few seconds to build its database.
A fresh install of Windows 8 (about 70,000 files) will take about 1 second to index.
1,000,000 files will take about 1 minute.
That's impressive. Was becoming frustrated with Window$ 8.1 indexer resource hog.

+1 for Todoist. It allowed me to scrap my calendar apps and other to-do list programs and tools. Definitely worth $29/year for premium as well.

I've also been using Evernote a lot more to shy away from Microsoft Word. I was late to the bandwagon, but bought a bunch of sticky notes that came with Evernote Premium codes, so I'm sitting on two years of that no cost.

Between Todoist, Evernote, and Google Drive I can access anything I use from pretty much anywhere. I've been rocking Safari since replacing my old Macbook with a new Air. It's quite fast on Yosemite, and gave me a reason to drop Chrome finally.

IFTTT has been pretty helpful in automating tasks as well. Working on getting familiar with Tasker, and been using Hootsuite to auto-post to social media for my clients as well.

I also use Todoist. As mentioned above, it's dead simple and it has some sort of plugin or interface for most browsers, mobile operating systems, etc.

If you use "to do" lists and haven't tried it, give it a shot.

I'm not much of a tools guy, but my kitchen timer is my best friend.

One of my biggest wins in the productivity department was learning to ignore distractions. Once I did that, my output went through the roof.

That sounds trite, but here's an example:

I do a lot of work in my local coffee joint. Over the years, I'd gotten into the stupid habit of looking up whenever someone entered the store. I'm talking every minute or so (it's a busy place).

I was like Pavlov's dog. I'd hear the door open and look up. That habit prevented me from building any momentum. And big surprise, I couldn't get anything done.

Today, I ignore everything except work. It has made all the difference in the world. :)

Good luck when a gunman finally walks in and starts shooting.

I just figured out how to use recurring dates in Todoist. I was floored by how easy it is. It's a great timesaver.

I have seven projects going simultaneously right now. Recurring dates allows me to simply put in "ev mon", etc, and whenever it's off the day's list, it gets moved right to next Monday's. It's awesome.

I have had the issue, however, of adding random extraneous things in order to "check off" more items, which caused a good bit of unneeded stress. Same reason I had to quit using a Fitbit. It got to the point where if I didn't get 20K steps in a day I felt useless.

Why would anyone use these tools compared to properly setting up a project management system? No offense but it's like a college person's stack.

Why don't you school everyone with your "Adult" stack then... put these "college stacks" to shame... :pimp: