A Beginner's Guide to Irrational Behavior

Watched the first couple of videos - it might not be groundbreaking stuff here for some, but a lot of it is really useful. Both for marketing and understand when you are subtly being marketed towards.

For instance I know a lot of people on here who think they are immune to marketing who still get manipulated by some of the cognitive biases he described.

Watched the first couple of videos - it might not be groundbreaking stuff here for some, but a lot of it is really useful. Both for marketing and understand when you are subtly being marketed towards.

For instance I know a lot of people on here who think they are immune to marketing who still get manipulated by some of the cognitive biases he described.

My favourite page on the whole wikipedia

List of cognitive biases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tumblr_m0d3qmhrhd1rr362xo1_500.jpg

Suggested Readings

I will cover some of the material that is in my 3 books [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0061353248/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0061353248&linkCode=as2&tag=coursera-course123-20"]Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions[/ame] (2008), [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NSVE50/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004NSVE50&linkCode=as2&tag=coursera-course123-20"]The Upside of Irrationality: The Unexpected Benefits of Defying Logic at Work and at Home[/ame] (2010), and [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0062183591/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0062183591&linkCode=as2&tag=coursera-course123-20"]The Honest Truth About Dishonesty: How We Lie to Everyone---Especially Ourselves[/ame] (2012).

And in honor of this class, all three books will be available as an e-bundle at a discount ($19.99 for all three) until the day after the class starts, March 26th -- but only until that date.

Das cool.

Anyone who thinks they are unaffected by marketing is kidding themselves!

Reminds me of this vid. We're never immune. The brain is far more powerful than we think.

Derren Brown - Mind Control - YouTube

Hey, that was a good course, but more importantly it introduced me to coursera. I knew about it before, but thought it wasn't a big deal. Since then I've been through several courses, some changing the way I think completely.

Thought I'd pay it forward. Advanced competitive strategy is an excellent course.

Note: When learning from places like coursera don't rely on the video lectures. They are great for getting the point across. The real value is in combining them with the recommended literature and discussing in the forum created for the course with other people.

I like You Are Not So Smart for things of this kind. His first book is killer.

As for Derren Brown, if you're interested, study concepts in magic such as dual reality, preshow and multiple outs. It doesn't really matter what people choose to do in most of Brown's stuff. It will always come out cool due to these three principles (though I think he relies far less on preshow than others in his field ... perhaps ...)

In marketing ... not so cool if the prospect doesn't buy.

Not saying you can't learn a ton from Brown, by the way. Just saying that he's using techniques that are as obvious to the eyes of a magician as pollen is obvious to the eyes of a been. And he's really, really good at it, assisted in no small part by camera editing.

Finally, the next generation following Brown is this chap:

Freeform Mentalism by Peter Turner Instant Download

Not sorry if this sounds off-topic. It isn't. Understanding what these guys do and how they do it is rich with marketing clues.

Not only that, but their marketing is interesting to study too. ;)