666th Post: Live Deliberately

pinchyfingers

Jan 11, 2011
Live, Without A DJ
To Live Deliberately

The point of working online is to have more control over our lives, at least that's the most important thing to me. Some people hustle all day and some people like hanging out at the beach, but we're all living outside of the limitations of a normal job. Entrepreneurship supports one of the key goals in my life: to live deliberately.

It's ironic, then, that one of the major obstacles I've faced since quitting my job and going on my own has been not thinking for myself. It's an insidious problem. One minute you're browsing WickedFire minding your own business, and the next minute your obsessed with copying the success of someone else. All of sudden your minding everyone else's business, but not your own.

Mind your own business!

—The same problem happens if you read Hacker News, but that's less of an issue because I think we can all agree that Hacker News is full of faggots. And not the good kind of faggot like we have here, the ball cradling, shaft stroking, dick sucking kind, but awful Obama-loving, Zuckerburg-worshipping, emasculated pussies.—

Most marketers make money by influencing another person's dreams for their own life. But what about your dreams for your life? When you're living on the Internet, it's extremely easy to get caught in the trap of chasing someone else's dream. Look at all of the losers that want to create the next Facebook. Really? If I'm being brutally honest with myself, there's no way in hell I'd want what Zuck has.

Use your imagination and willpower to create the best life for you.

Honesty Takes Work

Eventually we all get what we want anyway. People who really want to build the next Facebook and work hard at it will do well. But people who convince themselves that they want to build the next Facebook, but actually want the comfort and security of a normal job, are just going to fail until they get in touch with reality.

Honesty and integrity aren't discussed much in the Internet marketing world, but in my experience, rigorous honesty is essential to living deliberately and staying on track with my own intentions for my life. Self-awareness doesn't come easy. If you think you know perfectly what you really want, you probably don't realize how difficult it is to actually see unadulterated reality.

Success comes when you work with reality.

What I've Learned

Obviously Internet marketing is a fucked up world filled with delusion, greed, dishonesty, insecurity, and misinformation. I don't give a fuck about educating the willfully ignorant masses, but I do want to contribute to the success of people who are serious about making something of themselves.

I wanted to write about something I've learned in the few years that I've been working for myself. I considered writing about building content teams, getting the highest quality work from writers, project management for content teams, and so on, but the thing that's helped me the most and that I care about the most is living a principled life.

I'm not going to get detailed right now about how get some principles into your life. Insight meditation is sick if you're ready for it. As I recall, living with principles is the main topic Stephen Covey wrote about. There are plenty of communities, and books, and other resources if your willing to look for them.

My experience is that the more honest I am about who I really am and what I really want, the more happy and successful I am. I'm not a millionaire yet, but it doesn't seem so far away, and my lifestyle is incredible.

My humble advice: Hard work is necessary for success, but self-honesty is even more primary and powerful.

At the end of your life, don't look back and see that you've lived like the mass of men: in quiet desperation. Do what you truly want to do. Live deliberately!​

Reactions: User9364

So I wonder if anyone else has experience with what I'm talking about here?

Things really started taking off for me when someone I trusted suggested that I take an inventory of the past 24 hours once a day. Pretty much everyday for several months, I stopped by the Delaware river on my way home from work and objectively looked at everything I had done for 24 hours.

Pretty quickly, I realized that the life I pictured in my head was very different from my actual life. It didn't take long for me to end an unhealthy relationship and quit my job and commit to never getting another job. Since then I've also re-located to much nicer places to live than a blue-collar neighborhood in Bucks County: Austin, Texas and Costa Rica. I eventually found myself in a much more satisfying relationship, and I've slowly but steadily made more money and spent more time working on things I care about, instead of just spam and shady bullshit.

The process is still working for me. A couple months ago I wanted to write about cryptocurrencies, but I didn't get around to it because I was caught up taking care of day to day work to keep my clients happy. As I got more honest with myself that I wasn't totally happy with the work I was doing, I managed to change my arrangement with my current clients and found a great client that pays me to write about cryptocurrencies.

All I had to do was get honest with myself, and be willing to do the footwork.

So I wonder if anyone else has experience with what I'm talking about here?

Things really started taking off for me when someone I trusted suggested that I take an inventory of the past 24 hours once a day. Pretty much everyday for several months, I stopped by the Delaware river on my way home from work and objectively looked at everything I had done for 24 hours.

Pretty quickly, I realized that the life I pictured in my head was very different from my actual life. It didn't take long for me to end an unhealthy relationship and quit my job and commit to never getting another job. Since then I've also re-located to much nicer places to live than a blue-collar neighborhood in Bucks County: Austin, Texas and Costa Rica. I eventually found myself in a much more satisfying relationship, and I've slowly but steadily made more money and spent more time working on things I care about, instead of just spam and shady bullshit.

The process is still working for me. A couple months ago I wanted to write about cryptocurrencies, but I didn't get around to it because I was caught up taking care of day to day work to keep my clients happy. As I got more honest with myself that I wasn't totally happy with the work I was doing, I managed to change my arrangement with my current clients and found a great client that pays me to write about cryptocurrencies.

All I had to do was get honest with myself, and be willing to do the footwork.

I guess if you've lived a shockingly unexamined life, the exercise you mentioned above is super beneficial. No doubt.

As someone who's overanalyzed my life since a youngin', I feel the opposite works for me. It helps for me to just let go, silence my inner-critic, dial down the introspection, and stop trying to "control" everything. Just go with the flow, and constantly look (and work) towards the future.

That said, I did find some interesting gems in your OP.

Thanks!

Thanks for this. Deliberate intention has always worked for me.

I would only add that writing down goals every day has been great, not only for reinforcement, but actually as a way to study the goals and really find out if that's what I really want.

Trust me, if you spend 5-10 minutes every day writing out what you think you want again and again, you'll quickly figure out whether you really want it or not. The process of weeding out makes the list really pure and powerful, and therefore also the deliberate intention behind the habit of writing out the list every day.

Thanks again!

Reactions: pinchyfingers
Trust me, if you spend 5-10 minutes every day writing out what you think you want again and again, you'll quickly figure out whether you really want it or not. The process of weeding out makes the list really pure and powerful...

Exactly! My point is that it's easy to think we're examining and directing our lives, but the real challenge is becoming aware on a deeper level. It's important for me to question why I want the things I think I want. Honesty is not just something we decide to do, it is a long journey.

Good post OP!

I recently quit my job because I realized that I was spending a total of 11 hours dedicated to something I don't give a shit about (work). 8 hours of work combined with 3 hours of commuting.

Imagine what one can do with 11 hours a day dedicated to pursuing an endeavor or idea that they actually give a fuck about?

The decision was very simple after that.

As someone who's overanalyzed my life since a youngin', I feel the opposite works for me. It helps for me to just let go, silence my inner-critic, dial down the introspection, and stop trying to "control" everything. Just go with the flow, and constantly look (and work) towards the future.

My experience as well. The struggle is real.

89_Djr_E2.gif

-Well, my wife and kids did not take it very well. Lots of screaming and yelling and threats of lawyers when I told them I was moving to the Virgin Islands to write my book.

Fortunately, there is enough money for the next 30 days for them after I buy my 1 way plane ticket and bring enough money to be comfortable till I get the book done. That is enough time for them to get government housing and fill out all the forms.

Thanks for the advice. See you all on the other side.