50% of my offer's pre-qualified traffic is hitting the payment page and then leaving

mpbiz

Apr 29, 2010
Just launched my own offer and I'm testing with PPC right now. My LP ctr to offer is dog shit but I'm still close to break even.

Here's my funnel: Traffic clicks ppc ad, lands on my video sales page, told in the video the product costs $49.95 and to click the yellow button to get access.

50% of the people clicking through to the offer aren't signing up. I already know 3 major things I need to change.

1. My payment page looks completely different from my landing page. They will have the same color scheme and background starting tomorrow so thats fixed. Synergy = $$$

2. I have a paypal logo on the payment page but I am not using paypal im using stripe. My guess is people want to login with paypal, realize they cant, and are bailing.

and 3. There is a header nav bar and a footer bar as well on payment page. Both of these nav bars have links for the home page, FAQ, etc. I noticed in crazy egg today that a lot of people are hitting the payment page and then clicking on the nav bar links.

I'll be deleting the links in these nav bars. I've noticed that most of the big offers dont have any links at all on the final payment pages. Gives the user less of a chance to get distracted or bail.

If you guys have any other ideas on how to decrease payment page adondonment I could really use it. Despite the fact that my LP ctr is terrible I am still close to breakeven and if I can lower the % of people bailing on the payment page I'll be profitable already.

Any help is greatly appreciated and for those of you who are interested in the results I get from these changes I'll be sure to post some of the results. Hopefully we can all learn something here.

do your 3 changes. then...

how well do you know your buyers? i'm assuming your video does this, but what is the biggest reason they want to buy? hammer this on the last page. 'enter your billing details and start eating cookies and never gain a pound now!'

let's figure out WHY people were bailing from the checkout. where did they go? to the FAQ? then answer the most common question right on the checkout page.

trust logos - like the norton secured logo. refund/satisfaction guarantee logo.

1 or 2 more awesome and believable testimonials.

then start changing wording on the checkout action button. 'secure checkout' or 'send me my pills' or 'get started'. multivariate this part.

have you explained shipping correctly? do they know how soon they will get it?

Reactions: mpbiz
one more thing - if you don't mind phones, add a toll free number on the checkout page and see if anyone calls it. if so, you've got a super-hot buyer who's worth pumping for information after taking their money. if no one calls it, start split-testing your cr% with/without it. it might add another level of trust.

1) Remove that paypal logo if you are not using them. Almost every other idiot knows what paypal looks like, so they know something is not right when they end up on stripe's payment page or whatever that is.

2) If you can somehow give a free trial or offer a lower price point, then add a exit pop and then redirect users to lower price point page. I have seen people increasing sales by 30-50% by this simple method.

3) On payment page, remove all navbars. Don't let the users to jump around again.

4) Add toll-free number and i hope you can take payment over the phone?

5) Multi-variate testing with unbounce

Good luck

Reactions: mpbiz
do your 3 changes. then...

how well do you know your buyers? i'm assuming your video does this, but what is the biggest reason they want to buy? hammer this on the last page. 'enter your billing details and start eating cookies and never gain a pound now!'

let's figure out WHY people were bailing from the checkout. where did they go? to the FAQ? then answer the most common question right on the checkout page.

trust logos - like the norton secured logo. refund/satisfaction guarantee logo.

1 or 2 more awesome and believable testimonials.

then start changing wording on the checkout action button. 'secure checkout' or 'send me my pills' or 'get started'. multivariate this part.

have you explained shipping correctly? do they know how soon they will get it?

one more thing - if you don't mind phones, add a toll free number on the checkout page and see if anyone calls it. if so, you've got a super-hot buyer who's worth pumping for information after taking their money. if no one calls it, start split-testing your cr% with/without it. it might add another level of trust.

1) Remove that paypal logo if you are not using them. Almost every other idiot knows what paypal looks like, so they know something is not right when they end up on stripe's payment page or whatever that is.

2) If you can somehow give a free trial or offer a lower price point, then add a exit pop and then redirect users to lower price point page. I have seen people increasing sales by 30-50% by this simple method.

3) On payment page, remove all navbars. Don't let the users to jump around again.

4) Add toll-free number and i hope you can take payment over the phone?

5) Multi-variate testing with unbounce

Good luck

+rep thanks for the suggestions.

50% cart abandonment rate is in the industry norms. It is actually pretty good considering on average 60-70% of people abandon the cart. These are the same numbers I'm seeing for my ecommerce website.

I'm going to integrate the exit pop and see if it helps.

Also, make sure you are dropping an Adwords retargeting pixel on em at the cart. Hit them with ads for the next 2 days and see if you can bring them back. I've tried doing it, even offering them a coupon code to get 10% off. I got some clicks but no conversions. I think I need to test it some more.

Try different pricing strategies, maybe try something like $1 for the first 7 days then $69.95 or something like that. Maybe also think about adding a small continuity program that people have to un-tick at checkout like a $4.95 a premium monthly news letter. You'd be surprised how many people just leave it in the cart and continue to pay month in month out, it's crazy I've had people sending me micro payments for over a year between $5 and $10 a month.

Could make the difference from breaking even or doubling your money.

50% cart abandonment rate is in the industry norms. It is actually pretty good considering on average 60-70% of people abandon the cart. These are the same numbers I'm seeing for my ecommerce website.

I'm going to integrate the exit pop and see if it helps.

Also, make sure you are dropping an Adwords retargeting pixel on em at the cart. Hit them with ads for the next 2 days and see if you can bring them back. I've tried doing it, even offering them a coupon code to get 10% off. I got some clicks but no conversions. I think I need to test it some more.

what I was going to say

Try different pricing strategies, maybe try something like $1 for the first 7 days then $69.95 or something like that. Maybe also think about adding a small continuity program that people have to un-tick at checkout like a $4.95 a premium monthly news letter. You'd be surprised how many people just leave it in the cart and continue to pay month in month out, it's crazy I've had people sending me micro payments for over a year between $5 and $10 a month.

Could make the difference from breaking even or doubling your money.

I'm sorry, but that's just shady as fuck, and a perfect example of what's wrong with this industry and why the FTC has been cracking down on us...

Your abandon rate isn't that bad for shit you're just getting to optimizing now.

Protip: this is why call centers exist. ;)

Call those bitches that forgot to pay for the stuff they obviously want and sell them some product at a lower rate or a free trial.

Hustle homey!

EDIT: I read that incorrectly. I thought they were abandoning a two page form on page two. In that case retargeting is a good idea... So is breaking up your form into 2 pages and running that concurrently to test results.

I'm sorry, but that's just shady as fuck, and a perfect example of what's wrong with this industry and why the FTC has been cracking down on us...

No it's not "shady as fuck" - nowhere did I say that it would be hidden or forced, clearly visible with a simple tick box. There's companies doing 8 figures that use this strategy. If you're talking about the $1 trial, people are only going to be upset if you hide it from them. If you actually communicate with your customers you wouldn't have this problem.

It's the lack of communication, and hiding things that cause the FTC problems.

No it's not "shady as fuck" - nowhere did I say that it would be hidden or forced, clearly visible with a simple tick box. There's companies doing 8 figures that use this strategy. If you're talking about the $1 trial, people are only going to be upset if you hide it from them. If you actually communicate with your customers you wouldn't have this problem.

It's the lack of communication, and hiding things that cause the FTC problems.

I'm pretty sure Paper_Chase is just mad that someone outed his methods :)

If your landing page only has a video and that get access button and your visitor has no where but click get access, then it makes sense they will hit your check out page then bail

I don't like video landers because everyone has different level of engagement rate. I much prefer article with additional video

Btw, paper just dropped something REAL good in his post, thank you

EDIT: I thought they were abandoning a two page form on page two. In that case retargeting is a good idea... So is breaking up your form into 2 pages and running that concurrently to test results.

I should have been more specific. It is a 2 page signup/payment process.

The first page creates a username, grabs their email, name, etc. and then they proceed to enter in cc details on the next page. I just got it setup now to where if someone completes the signup page but doesn't complete the 2nd payment page, I shoot them an email with a $10 off coupon right away.

I'm sure I'll grab a good % of people that way so it will be interesting to see the results.

If your landing page only has a video and that get access button and your visitor has no where but click get access, then it makes sense they will hit your check out page then bail

I don't like video landers because everyone has different level of engagement rate. I much prefer article with additional video

Btw, paper just dropped something REAL good in his post, thank you

My PPC ad tells them they are clicking to watch a video so they should be ready for a video. The get access button and testimonials are hidden with javascript until I actually make them an offer and show them the price.

Copied this from Ryan Deiss and a nutra lander running hot right now.

I see one possible reason. Is your order button there all the time or does it appear once the video is at 90%?

Thing is, if there's a relatively long video and a buy it now button underneath a majority of your traffic will be tempted to click just to see the cost and by doing this interrupting the vid - and thus not getting pre-sold enough to buy your stuff.

What you can do is have your player trigger javascript that displays buynow button only after you feel they've been sufficiently presold, say at 90% of the video length. This achieves two things: one, they don't get curious and ruin the conversion path by clicking on the buy button and two, the only thing on the page is the video and they'll think they're getting free information and thus letting themselves get properly sold on your stuff.

...but doesn't complete the 2nd payment page, I shoot them an email with a $10 off coupon right away...

I avoid this. I find it to be 'hard selling'. I rather go with a more consultative, personal approach. I'll have an email go out 1 day later, from a 'person'. I'll include a little mistake like saying 'serivse' and include something at the end like 'Sent from my © Blackberry Mobile Devise'. The message will be something along the lines of:

Hi,

My name is x. I'm the customer satisfaction consultant for XYZ.com - I see you visited our site and tried to purchase, but didn't finish.

I'd first like to let you know that I am here at your service, if you have any questions, comments or concerns, no matter what they may be, I'm here for you.

Second, if it isn't much of an imposition, I'd love to know why you didn't finish the purchase. If you could take a little time to tell me, I'm sure I could improve our store and create an experience that is more worthy of your attention.

Whatever your reply, I wish to thank you for taking the time to visit XYZ.

Sig

Also, 50% abandonment isn't bad. And last, an 800 increases conversions. I have people call me and ask something stupid, then they confess that they were calling just to see if there was anyone on the other side of the line; since they had purchased from unresponsive businesses, they wanted to make sure that if they purchased, someone was there to take care of them, even if they don't need it.

you're doing good.

did you remove the faq/home page links yet?

he's showing the buy now and continuing the path after making the offer, so it's hot traffic.

the email is a good idea, and you can actually retarget at both stages if you want to get really granular later: hits the account creation page and bails, or bails at payment details.

i am confused though - are 50% bailing between 'see buy now button' and 'making it to page 2 cc details'? or do 50% bail once they see any kind of form behind the video?

i'd have to guess that whatever the biggest % drop off, either 'see the video->completing the email' or 'completes email->finished payment', attack that first.

I see one possible reason. Is your order button there all the time or does it appear once the video is at 90%?

Thing is, if there's a relatively long video and a buy it now button underneath a majority of your traffic will be tempted to click just to see the cost and by doing this interrupting the vid - and thus not getting pre-sold enough to buy your stuff.

What you can do is have your player trigger javascript that displays buynow button only after you feel they've been sufficiently presold, say at 90% of the video length. This achieves two things: one, they don't get curious and ruin the conversion path by clicking on the buy button and two, the only thing on the page is the video and they'll think they're getting free information and thus letting themselves get properly sold on your stuff.

See the post right above yours :)