42" monitor, looking for arrangement ideas

HHOTEK

We make things GREEN
Feb 16, 2009
bostic nc
www.hhotek.com
i use a laptop with external keyboard and a 42" monitor the extended desktop is nice.

the placement is not easy i have been using this setup for almost a month and tried a number of configurations but not found one that i am happy with yet and there are not alot of store bought solutions for this. I know some of you guys have some pretty insane setups and thought maybe someone has already overcome this.

Heres what i have
http://hhotek.com/images/RC/comp.jpg
i could not use my old computer desk as it had a high back so i found a very cheap solution at walmart in a small black foldable table works quite well. but my setup just doesnt "FEEL" good it feels like i have a couple thousand dollars of equipment all cobbled together very poorly (which is exactly what has been done)

post pics of what you have done?

If I knew my setup was going to be in the same place for a long time, then I would just mount it on the wall.

However, if you are moving your workspace around a lot then obviously that wouldn't work.

What about something like this to put behind your desk? - Salamander Designs Ltd.

There is probably a company out there that makes a cheaper version than that one.

well that might would work but the way i would like for it to be is the 42" angled toward me as it is in the pic and the laptop itself mounted to wall beside it (the wall mount laptop kit ordered) and then just a mouse and keyboard on desk. i guess the wall mount is going to be the best solution. i was just trying to be cheap lol

The stand I linked to swivels to the left and right which should give you an angle similar to your picture. Also, it would keep the monitor off your desk and probably give off a cleaner look. By keeping it on the stand, you would have the option of moving your desk if you wanted without being confined to where the monitor was wall mounted.

It's expensive, but like I said, there is probably a much cheaper version out there somewhere.

Just an idea.

Is that tv only 720p?(1280x720), get rid and get a proper monitor.
If it's 1080 (1920x1080) you can still get more screen real estate on a 22"(1920x1200).

Your eyes will thank me later.

Its 1080

the objective is not really to fit more on the screen its to make everything that is on the screen much larger. Graphic design is much better, much less zooming in plus its awesome on youtube

no not really im usually kicked back on the phone using the mouse to pull up relevant documents and such so the size has never been a hinderance really. i would like it more organized and i suppose more space would give that opputunity

Its 1080

the objective is not really to fit more on the screen its to make everything that is on the screen much larger. Graphic design is much better, much less zooming in plus its awesome on youtube

Much less zooming? I guess if you have bad eyes but you don't have any more pixels so you don't see any more, you see less, than someone on a 24" at 1920x1200 and much less than someone on a 30" at 2560x1600. I don't see how graphic design could possibly be better, as it wasn't meant for design work. Dot pitch is going to be huge (size of pixels and gaps between pixels), colors and gamut far less accurate than a proper computer monitor. It would drive me nuts to work like that.