301 redirects

blizam

Large Member
Oct 7, 2011
Denver
So I know what I 301 redirect is... but can someone please put it in the context of how folks use it SEO wise?

Why not rank the site you wanna rank as opposed to ranking a site you 301 redirect to said site?

Thanks in advance

It's most commonly used as a filter. The theory is you point a ton of spammy links at a 301'd domain and you eliminate the risk of being penalized while still receiving the benefits of the links.

Is the idea though that you actually get the 301'd domain ranked or strictly that it will help in ranking the primary?

So lets say you've just spent the last 3 months building your website, adding backlinks, doing seo, etc. Now its on the first page or near the first page. You then hear about a technique to increase the authority of your domain in the eyes of search engines using 301 redirected domains. You wonder why people don't just rank the sites that already have link juice. This is because the domain you are doing the 301 redirect to may be LOWER than your current money site. OR it may be that you just don't want the last 3 months of your work going to waste.

So you buy a few domains that have link juice and PR on them. You then redirect these domains to your main domain and you now have access to their link juice

Example: you have 3 PR 2 domains
You then redirect all 3 to your PR 4 money site,
Your PR 4 site now has the link juice from all 3 PR 2 domains as well as ALL the backlinks from that domain

Reactions: blizam
People tend to 301 redirect sites that have been hit by penalties to new sites however I can confirm that if it works its not as easy as 100% passed on as I've done it with 4 or 5 sites that infringed trademarks in the domain name. I didn't know enough when I registered them however after losing a domain name (or several) I decided to redirect the others in case they were taken from me later....the rankings have not recovered to the pre redirected levels but it's better than nothing.

It's most commonly used as a filter. The theory is you point a ton of spammy links at a 301'd domain and you eliminate the risk of being penalized while still receiving the benefits of the links.

Yes, that's the theory around WF.

Wouldn't it be nice if Google were so easy to game.

Is the idea though that you actually get the 301'd domain ranked or strictly that it will help in ranking the primary?

You said you know what a 301 redirect is. hmmm

You can never get a 301'd domain to rank.

301 means MOVED PERMENENTLY!

SE's do not rank, nor even index, domains that have moved permenently.

Bompa

Yes, that's the theory around WF.

Wouldn't it be nice if Google were so easy to game.

You said you know what a 301 redirect is. hmmm

You can never get a 301'd domain to rank.

301 means MOVED PERMENENTLY!

SE's do not rank, nor even index, domains that have moved permenently.

Bompa

Maybe you can clarify this but I was readong on BHW how a person had been purchasing old domain names with some remaining backlinks/PR and back linking them to their main sites.

Or is that just BS?

Maybe you can clarify this but I was readong on BHW how a person had been purchasing old domain names with some remaining backlinks/PR and back linking them to their main sites.

Or is that just BS?

I read that post too, supposedly the guy redirected like 30 or so domains, to a money site with no backlinks built to it and was ranking for terms like e cig, etc. Also the OP suggest this wasn't possible before, all of the sudden it works now. I really don't think much has changed with backlinks to be honest, I think google is just fucking around with shit they know they really don't have much control over and it's just getting worse and worse. But that's my opinion.