$2800 HP 9000t vs. $3000 Macbook Pro -- Help me decide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proof

Oct 8, 2006
Topic says it all. Tomorrow I am ordering one or the other. Both are comprable. The differences are...

- HP comes with a HD-DVD drive with a DVD burner, Mac only has DVD burner (HD-DVD is nice...but not necessary)
- HP comes with 3 year full coverage warranty, Mac comes with standard 1
- HP comes with the 2ghz Duo 2 processor, Mac has the 2.13ghz Duo processor (supposedly there is not much of a difference in the laptop versions)
-HP comes with a 240gig hard drive, Mac comes with 120gig hard drive
-The Mac runs both OSX and XP, the HP runs only XP
- The Mac is much more portable...only an inch thick and 1.5lbs less in weight.
The HP seems like a much better deal at first but!

If I take the same approach that I do when I'm buying a car then I'd have to go with a Mac. The Mac's are better thought out, better designed, hold up better, hold value MUCH better, don't get obsolete after only a couple of months, and dont crash nearly as much.

So what do I do?

The mac, hands down.
OSX is nice and you can run XP if you wanted with boot camp. HP's are nice and everything, but the mac's now that they have intel architecture are far superior, in my opinion.

Don't buy the macbook pro yet... updates soon:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

The one thing I hate about apple is you never know when something new is coming out. You could buy today and there could be fresh updates tomorrow. The above tool is really nice because you get to see the product lifecycle, and it lists recent news about the product beside it.

Duo 2 coming to the MBP soon, I would use what you got now and wait for the update.

ben is right, macbook pro update should be here soon
but the difference between core duo and core 2 duo isn't as significant as apple claims it to be

ben is right, macbook pro update should be here soon
but the difference between core duo and core 2 duo isn't as significant as apple claims it to be

Yeah, but just enough of a difference to make me pissed as hell if I bought a duo and a 2 duo came out a few weeks later. :)

Probably get a little more cash on the resell as well.

Yeah, but just enough of a difference to make me pissed as hell if I bought a duo and a 2 duo came out a few weeks later. :)

Probably get a little more cash on the resell as well.

There's always something "coming out a few weeks later" and it's bound to piss you off.

Get the mac.

arent macs hard to use? im kind of stupid on this. if they boot up on xp are they just like any other computer? like it's the normal xp format right,...i dont really like the OS

Thanks for the heads up guys. I knew the Duo 2 was coming but didn't think it was soon enough. My HP DV1050 crapped out on me and I hate being tied down to my desktop.

arent macs hard to use? im kind of stupid on this. if they boot up on xp are they just like any other computer? like it's the normal xp format right,...i dont really like the OS

I thought the same thing but everyone has assured me that OSX is easy to use after you get used to it. Plus...I'm going to install a copy of Windows XP on it.

I think I'm gonna go with the Mac

I thought the same thing but everyone has assured me that OSX is easy to use after you get used to it. Plus...I'm going to install a copy of Windows XP on it.
it's more intuitive, so it's not difficult to learn. and it never crashes either.

go for the mac

better yet, get a laptop custom built with your specs and throw linux on it

• 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 3GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 1x2GB, 1x1GB
  • 100GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
  • SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
  • MacBook Pro 17-inch Widescreen Display
Went with the lighter hard drive and more ram. When I need more space i'll go external.

Status
Not open for further replies.