22-24" Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

xentech

NFLol.
Aug 12, 2008
Great Britain
I'm looking for a new monitor and I'm no expert on hardware, can anyone recommend a good but reasonably priced 22-24" (preferably 24) monitor?

You will be rewarded with cookies and milk.

Samsung's Syncmasters are always kick ass. My 22" is a 2232BW. Love it! My 25.5" is better though. Worth every penny.

That's a good deal on the 2408wfp, I have it as well. It's pretty good except for that reds are over saturated and backlighting is a little uneven from right to left. Granted, backlighting is almost always worse with just about every 24" that's cheaper -- you usually need to look at spending 1k+ (e.g. high-end NEC) to get away from these problems and have really accurate colors on an LCD. Some of these issues might have been addressed in the latest revision of the 2408wfp, though.

Basically, buying a mid priced 24" LCD monitor is an exercise in never being completly satisfied with your purchase :).

Buy a 24 over a 22. 22's have the same resolution as 20's (just bigger pixels), 24's will get you 1900x1200 goodness.

Also, if you're using an on-board / integrated video card or something really shitty you'll need to get a better one to push 1900x1200. If you plan to do any gaming you'll need to spend about $150-200 on one.

If you do get a Dell make sure you get an ultrasharp version like the ones mentioned above. A lot of their monitors come in two versions, usltrasharp or cheap.

If you can wait, I'd recommend saving your money until Samsung comes out with a monitor that uses "THIS" technology. LED TV - televisions | SAMSUNG

This is one of the smartest things I've seen in quite a while to actually utilize HDMI properly. I haven't seen one in person yet, but I'm willing to bet that the picture quality will be as good as the Uber Expensive "Active Plasma" 8" monitors that I have seen.

With the LED's there should not be any degradation due to viewing angle and the blacks should be PURE.

I will be waiting to see what happens with this technology before I get another monitor.

If you need a monitor right now, you might want to look into this one [ame="http://www.amazon.com/W2558HC-25-Inch-Widescreen-Panel-Monitor/dp/B001FWWAFU"]Amazon.com: HP W2558HC 25-Inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor: Computers & PC Hardware[/ame] I've seen it in action and it's pretty nice. Nice bright color and clean sharp fonts. Reflection may be an issue, but other than that I found it to be one of the better Flat Panel monitors out right now at a decent price for what it delivers. They do make them in smaller sizes. [ame]http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00284464&lc=en&dlc=pt&cc=pt&product=459838[/ame]

Sincerely,

MT

P.S. I found this thread here at WF after posting this. http://www.wickedfire.com/shooting-shit/59712-lcd-plasma.html It seems that others agree with the quality of the LED Samsung technology.

I'd love my Samsung monitor just a little more if not for the bright blue LED in the power button. What the fuck is it with blue LEDs in everything?

I bought the cheap Dell 24"; E248WFP

I think it was around $250 shipped from Dell Outlet. It just developed a stuck/dead pixel. But I still love it because it's fucking huge, and fucking cheap. The viewing angles suck, and image quality sucks, yet I still love it. It should last me until I can justify the purchase of an ACD 30" or Dell 30" Ultrasharp.

I'd love my Samsung monitor just a little more if not for the bright blue LED in the power button. What the fuck is it with blue LEDs in everything?

Yes, they are annoying. I use Gorilla Tape, the BLACK, to cover the LEDs that are annoying.

I make a piece that's a little bigger than the button so that I can completely seal around it and still have enough movement in the tape to use the button without the tape constantly coming loose.

Sincerely,

MT

led backlighting isn't the second coming of jesus guys.
but if you want it super duper bad
apple uses it in their 24" or something. the one with the isight. i think it is 600 something with student discount.
led have little affect on black level, just smoothness of backlight.

If you are thinking of spending 400+ on those dells, then look at the SyncMaster2693HM. They are 25.5". It's so much desk space and for less than 500 dollars, you can't beat it for the quality. I love the matte screen, the viewing angles are amazing, perfect for movies and games, and you can rotate it to profile view if you want to view most websites without scrolling. Kicks ass!

Not sure if anybody has posted it yet, but if you go to the front page of slickdeals.net, they have quite a few deals posted on that size of monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.