15 Unethical And Illegal Ways That People Get Ahead In Life...

JarredLv

Rape and Pillage Canada!
Dec 24, 2008
Las Vegas
Unethical Life Hacks - Business Insider

"When you are calling a utility/customer service number, and you need to speak to someone but receive an automated menu prompt, choose the Spanish option, then press "0".

"Multiple benefits here. More often than not, they do not hire reps that only speak Spanish - they will most likely be bilingual, and will handle overflow calls in English anyway. Second, Spanish speakers are less common in India, so the Spanish speaking call-centers are usually located in the US - so when you get the rep, you will not have to deal with language barriers often encountered with the Indian reps. In addition, the wait is usually not as long."

"Buy the cheapest ticket you can find for a sporting event you want to attend. 1 hour before it starts, log into Stubhub to see which nice (but not heavily secured) seats are still available at a price point higher than the competition. Write a few of them down and chances are you can sit there all game without any issue.

mPGKDWV.gif

I once heard that if you curse while on Apple's support phone system, it ques you for a live representative ASAP.

So from now on, anytime I'm on the phone with an automated system I scream "FUCKING" before anything it asks me to say. I don't know if it's making anything go faster, but the last time I called Wells Fargo support, by the time I got to the agent she was damn near crying.

#ididntchoosethethuglife

How is negotiating your cable bill, playing the fool to always have a guaranteed win in rock paper scissors in an emergency, trying to get real customer support, or withholding information from caterers/photographers so they won't price gouge you even remotely unethical?

If anything, you're righting a wrong and the lack of ethics is on the other side. The cable company is overcharging and has almost zero marginal cost so you have every right to negotiate, company's shouldn't be trying to hide access to customer support, the sister in question thinks she's taking advantage of an idiot and fully deserves to be outsmarted, and if a service provider prices their services at the highest point they think you'll pay, you have every right to frame the situation in a way that lowers your price.

The wedding one is funny.

Wedding service providers know it's the only other occasion than death where people get stupid and spend anything you ask. They're the unethical ones with the crazy markups and excessive upselling - you're just smart to call it an event.

The parking ticket trick is nice, especially against those garages with super rip off prices.

I shook my head at the DMV one.. if I can go ahead and book a date online in two weeks.. why not just do that and go then?

::emp::

I shook my head at the DMV one.. if I can go ahead and book a date online in two weeks.. why not just do that and go then?

::emp::
agreed ;) recently had to get my license renewed. booked a date online, went on that date, treated like a V.I.P. and was outta there in 15~20 minutes.

These are all crap.

I had a friend who worked at the front desk of the W in Atlanta for six months. Whenever someone didn't have a Starwood Preferred Guest number, he would put in one for one of the eight Starwood Preferred Guest accounts he had.

He hated his job, and ended up doing this three to four times a day, racking up insane amounts of points. Three days before he quit that job, management sent out an email stating that SPG numbers on reservations were going to go through a system from that point forward to filter out suspicious activity.

He went to the front desk manager and the property manager with one of the account numbers and confessed to what he did. They requested that he quit, so he did. He was planning on it anyways, and that would keep him out of the line of fire in case they backtracked.

That night, he transferred all of the Starwood Preferred Guests points into a brand new account from all the other accounts, transferred some of the points to American Airlines AAdvantage miles, and proceeded to spend two months at the W in Bali without spending a dime for anything.

jailbreaking/rooting an Iphone/android phone for fun and then restoring it back to stock for claiming warranty, I am sure that one would count.

But seriously that was just a linkbait post.

Another DMV trick I heard about but haven't tested.

When it comes time to cough up for your moving violation fine, overpay a few bucks deliberately. This will shift your case to pending status, and the DMV will send you a refund check in the mail.

Tear up the check to keep your case pending forever. Once you cash it they close the case and the DMV will report the ticket to your insurance company. You'll see an increase your auto insurance.

You need a life hack like this if you get a lot of speeding tickets.