"$10m to get a top 5 position..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad101

Jun 25, 2006
Here's a great post by Kieron: Affiliate Marketing Blog from UK Offer Media: $10m to get a top 5 position in Google for Poker

Is it worth $10M to get a top-five position on Google for 'online poker'?

One commenter suggested a multi-million dollar competition to get into the top 5:

Firstly, get the site all nice and presentable so it doesn't look like a piece of crap. Maybe develop some silly little flash movie about poker players or some thing on there - there has to be a pay-off that isn't necessarily full on poker.

Secondly - set up the '3 Million Dollar Google-Bomb Link Challenge'. Basically, it's a spin on the old SEO competition, but open for everyone who owns a blog, myspace page, forum, web 2.0 profile page or whatever.

The idea is simple, they have to get you as many keyword specific links as possible (no comment spam or similar is acceptable) and the linker with the mosts gets a one million dollar prize. There'd have to be some way to tag each link, maybe a simple query string on the end or a CSS class to prove ownership.

Now this $1,000,000 is great as it is - imagine the buzz. However, that's just a start - the next twenty top linkers each get a $100,000 dollars.

If I had a poker site, and that kind of money.. I'd definitely some of it on a link challenge. But why be so generous with a million? People would probably be fine with 100k.

If I had a poker site, and that kind of money.. I'd definitely some of it on a link challenge. But why be so generous with a million? People would probably be fine with 100k.

$1 million is enough to get smart people to do really dumb stuff with their sites...$100K - maybe not so much.

Plus 100K will not give you uber publicity, while 1M is a nice, round number to say.

I'd do it, why not?

How about several prizes?

$400,000 for First Place

$250,000 for Second

$100,000 for Third

$50,000 for Fourth

$25,000 for Fifth

Then the next 175 people get $1,000 each

You would have everone involved, Some heavy hitters, tons of blogs and smaller sites. Something for everyone, with motivation and fun too. The next big viral thing.

You would have everone involved, Some heavy hitters, tons of blogs and smaller sites. Something for everyone, with motivation and fun too. The next big viral thing.
I agree, this is a great idea and well worth it too. The site will probably be able to get a high position from the publicity alone.

i thought of doing such a challenge, but how exactly would you do it??

1. Everyone who places a link can win the $1m, but than people would place link on crappy subpage.

2. The one who sends most users to you page wins the $1m.

I would go for number 2, but how can you track it??? We have already many many incoming links.
If they would use WP they could create a post and the URL should contain any code, i.e. win1m so I could filter in AWSTATS for win1m, but actually if traffic comes from homepage directly, they would not show an URL.

So how would you do it?

Yeah well, this does nothing for the long term because after the competition, many removal all the links. Drop drop drop you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.