1 post per day or 7 posts on Monday?

pdxdvr

Dec 10, 2011
A buddy asked me for any research I know of that suggests a difference between posting new content on his work site daily for a month vs. 30 posts on the 1st. I know in my experiments, I see a bit of an improvement when I do daily, but I haven't really quantified it or published my findings. He works for a scientific research company, so they want actual published articles to support either way. I used the Google box but didn't have a ton of luck. Anybody know of anything I could pass along?

Forget about Google and scientific research for a minute and think about your visitors. If you only post a bunch of articles once per month you'll be losing out on repeat visitors looking for new posts, and when they get 30 at once they won't read them all. It's terrible for user experience.

Even from an SEO perspective why would you flood all your articles at once. If your site is like almost every site out there, your homepage has the highest pagerank and its the most visited page on your site. By staggering your postings they'll have more time on the homepage to get visits, comments, indexed faster, and exposed to more eyes of people who could potentially give you a natural link if your content is good enough.

Excellent points. They're publishing scientific research papers with blog post intros. I think their visitors are very long tail searches and links from other scientific organizations in the industry, so they don't really have or care about the daily visitor to the site too much. So definitely not a typical site or model, they don't even have the posts on the homepage. That's why I'm more interested in the SEO side than the user experience side (which I completely agree with all points above on).

I also think 1 post per day is much better than publishing 30 in one day. Your readers will check your website regularly to see if there is new content and if they don't see any after a few days they will forget about your website all together. So, I recommend posting one article per day or at least once every other day. Some people post one super high quality article per week - that could work as well.

A buddy asked me for any research I know of that suggests a difference between posting new content on his work site daily for a month vs. 30 posts on the 1st. I know in my experiments, I see a bit of an improvement when I do daily, but I haven't really quantified it or published my findings. He works for a scientific research company, so they want actual published articles to support either way. I used the Google box but didn't have a ton of luck. Anybody know of anything I could pass along?

I think this is more to do with general knowledge. If you need to research on what's supposed to be 'general knowledge', you need to check your pulse rate.

I suggest you leave your buddy alone with such drivel and get back to doing what pays.

WordPress? check out the schedule post feature ;) Also, install a post calendar plugin.

Yes to WordPress and he and I are both familiar with scheduled posts. Basically he's trying to justify to management why he needs to set aside a certain period of time daily to do this. I don't know if it's because he wants some time to play solitaire, I didn't ask. For whatever reason, he'd like to sit down daily, copy and paste some content, add a link, and hit publish, he just asked me if I knew of any published research that supports it.

Your readers will check your website regularly to see if there is new content and if they don't see any after a few days they will forget about your website all together.

As stated above, this isn't exactly a site with daily readers due to the nature of the content. Think of it as a site that publishes the latest findings on color therapy for PTSD cats. Yes, there is a small network of people who REALLY care, but probably are already privy to the original research as it's published. This site is for the random person who types in to Google "would buying my cat a purple light help him with his PTSD?" and to show that they're a huge public repository for such research.

I think this is more to do with general knowledge. If you need to research on what's supposed to be 'general knowledge', you need to check your pulse rate.

I suggest you leave your buddy alone with such drivel and get back to doing what pays.

Again, he and I both know it's general knowledge, but the managers are scientists and they want "proof" (as much as a study published online about SEO can be proof). He's a buddy, I thought I'd just throw it out there to see if anyone knew of anything. I guess I'll publish/spin/spam a "study" to help him out.